Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Treating the family for headlice

(5 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Sun 24-Apr-05 13:32:48

Found headlice on dd1 this morning. Have put lotion on her ready to wash off in 12 hours time.
Wasn't sure whether or not to treat dd2, dh and myself even though nothing is visible.
Do you treat your families anyway? TIA

SPARKLER1 Sun 24-Apr-05 13:54:33

bump

happymerryberries Sun 24-Apr-05 13:57:34

Yes, but we wet comb with conditioner and 'do' the whole family. Do it every three days for 2 weeks. At the end if there are no more critters you can stop.

Much perfer that to using the chemicals but you do have to treat the whole family even if you can't see anything.....it only takes one!

Surfermum Sun 24-Apr-05 15:20:53

Hey Sparkly one! The advice I was given was that you only treat if you find a live louse - ie one that is moving. So if the rest of you don't have any, then you don't need to treat.

Dsd gets nits really badly - we're talking hundreds and consequently myself and dd get them from her when she visits. DH is bald! We only tread dsd when she is really bad and when we can do 2 treatments a week apart. I've found that for just a few lice the best thing is wet combing with loads of conditioner. Asda do a really cheap one. I always get rid of mine and dd's without any lotions.

There's a really good comb, the nitty gritty here . It's just fantastic. It's supposed to get out the lice and the eggs and it's really soft on the head. I was amazed what I got out of mine and dd's hair with it when I thought we were clear. Apparently you can get it on prescription too.

SPARKLER1 Sun 24-Apr-05 20:56:43

Thanks all. I ended up treating myself and both dds. Combed through and dd2 and I were clear. Didn't find anymore live lice on dd1 so hopefully I've caught it early. Shall just continue to wet comb every couple of days now and hope that will do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now