Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I get my mirena coil out today...

(25 Posts)
quickienamechangee Thu 09-Apr-09 12:41:42

...and am counting down the hours!!! should I expect masses of bleeding later on?

I think I must go in the book for shortest ever coil fitting- 6 weeks. In that time:

-i've bled heavily continuously (I should have taken shares out in Tampax!)
-i'm covered in black bruises
-blisters on my hands
-migraines (I never had them before)
-sickness like morning sickness
-blurred vision
-i'm really confused and cant seem to remember anything or function normally
-i'm knackered and paranoid!!!

sexy huh?

oh and put on 3 lbs!!!

Get this alien out of my body angry

never again

raindroprhyme Thu 09-Apr-09 16:35:23

i had mine out last week and no bleeding but a period a couple of days later first one in 3 1/2 years.
i also suffered migraines and morning sickness very sporadically tho. i will never have another one just remembered in this last week that i actually enjoy having sex.

dead easy to come out too could have done it myself.

Jennifershesaid Thu 09-Apr-09 16:42:36

Sorry to hear abt bad experiences with the mirena - good luck with getting it out!! I've had one nearly 3 yrs, had irregular bleeding for couple of months then no period since then which is good - but have put on a stone in that time. Is this a common side affect, or is it just cos I'm fast approaching 40 and my diet nis not great! Also found it really painful getting it put in - but not sure if that's normal.

TheDOGmamma Thu 09-Apr-09 16:49:01

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Thu 09-Apr-09 16:49:49

Loved mine, cant wait to get another put in after no.3 smile
No pain on removal, period about 4 days later

foxinsocks Thu 09-Apr-09 16:51:30

I had exactly that, including the blisters. Isn't that odd. Hope you feel better soon.

Jennifershesaid Thu 09-Apr-09 20:21:22

Quickie how did it go today?

quickienamechangee Thu 09-Apr-09 21:20:42

argh nightmare- what a mortifying experience! the nurse couldn't find the threads so had to call the doctor in!! eeekk. After much, much poking around and using various instruments he proclaimed- I can see it!! It had embedded itself into my uterus (blurgh). Luckily he managed to reach it without me needing an ultrasound to remove it hurrah! For a moment there (actually about 20) I thought I was going to have have a proper nightmare removing the darn thing.

On the flip side- I feel brand new now!! not sure if its pschological but my headache has gone and i feel alive again for the 1st time in 6 weeks (could be the wine mind you) wink

Never ever again,

Now...problem is...so far all the combined pills i've taken i've got migraine and weight gain on...i'm allergic to latex (could explain why I have 2 kids with exDH) and now i'm running out of contraceptive options! I have a new DP but thanks to the lovely side effects of the mirena (heavy bleeding) I am dying to jump on but worried now about contracteption. I'm rubbish at condoms..argh

quickienamechangee Thu 09-Apr-09 21:25:05

foxinsocks- thats so strange about the blisters- they aren't even listed as a side effect. How odd. Its scary how mny women must have one of these fitted and be suffering really bad effects from it.

Jennifershesaid Thu 09-Apr-09 21:30:13

Well Quickie I was reading in a magazne tday (woman and home - shh!) about a new thing called a NuvaRing that sounds ok - worth checking out? You put it inside yourself for 3 weeks a month and says not too exact where it goes!!?

Your removal sounds unpleasant! Not surprised you're on the wine (not that I need an excuse!)

quickienamechangee Thu 09-Apr-09 21:34:56

Hmm thanks for that- i'll google it. I have to be careful about hormones as they make me go a bit crazy lol. But I definately don't want DCno.3 so I must sort something out grin

Jennifershesaid Thu 09-Apr-09 21:37:39

ha - yeh they can make you crazy too. Good luck with the new DP. On a more serious note I've posted separately about separating from my DH (was MN virgin til Tuesday !)so sounds like you might be able to give me some tips there!

jessiejane Thu 09-Apr-09 21:44:33

i had my mirena out yesterday too! i lasted seven months and in that time have lost what was left of my waist after 2 dc, developed acne and suffered from the most horrible hair loss. am hoping these are reversible. removal was painless, but the doc said i would bleed, which hasn't happened. but i don't really care - just glad it's out. another baby would be preferable in terms of what it's done to my body!

hauschkahels Thu 09-Apr-09 21:48:17

Thanks for your message on my thread- just read yours!!!! shockOMG sounds awful- how soon did the symptoms start?
What are the bruises about? Did you put on weight?

quickienamechangee Thu 09-Apr-09 22:56:39

I think I had it in for a week before I noticed any real changes- The first time I had sex (about week 1) the bleeding started which continued for 6 weeks (so not what is needed when with a new DP lol). About week 3 I noticed that I was going downhill moodwise. even tho I have been separated 5 months i've been pretty ok with my situation. (ex is a complete twunt and I'm ok about moving on without him- he had affair through my last PG and is generally an arrogant w*nker) but anyway I digress....

Bruises started about week 4- I had about 20 black bruises on my legs and hips- really angry looking things. Then week 5 I had blisters on my hands.

Oh and acne started week 3 aswell [hmm)
The blurred vision came in waves and that with the general fogginess really knocked me for 6. I can cope with most things but as a single mum running my business I need all my wits about me. Lucky the spots have calmed down but how I was feeling (before I had it out) was in no comparison to how I felt before it went in. Already I feel much better and more like me. I'm normally so happy the last few weeks have been awful. Imagine if i'd persevered. Sod that!

Mmm how sexy!!! My doctor today said that he was going to stop fitting Mirena's without really telling people of the risks. He said as so many people have had to have their coil removed that its becoming an issue. He thinks the no periods feature is becoming a fashion but the normal copper coil is a much better option.

I'm going to think carefully before going through this again mind you. I've heard that the copper coil can cause heavy bleeding. My periods are normally quite good- 3 days so i'm not comfortable about trying something that could cause that.

Hey I need some bleed free sh*gging time!! I've got this fit new DP and its been a really frustrating 4 weeks so far!! grin

frostyfingers Fri 10-Apr-09 19:07:59

I have just had my Mirena removed - it was my 2nd, the 1st was absolutely fine. This one has induced almost constant bleeding (only light), zits like a teenager and mood swings like an axe murderer and a complete block on any interest in sex. I had a small bleed after, then had a copper coil inserted. I am just finishing my first period which wasn't particularly heavy, although 6 days is a bit tedious! Not sure yet about mood swings, and still a bit zitty, but am hoping that all will settle down in the next few weeks.

Interestingly when I went to discuss it with the female GP she was reluctant to recommend removal, although the male GP who actually took it out, was very supportive and said that it was difficult to assess how a coil would suit someone, every one seems to have such differing experiences.

Fingers crossed that it's onwards and upwards.

aGalChangedHerName Fri 10-Apr-09 19:16:02

I am going to see my GP asap to have mine out too. Headaches,weight gain,absolutely no libido <which is killing me> and spots. Oh and of course almost daily bleeding which is why i had it fitted in the first place FFS.

hauschkahels Fri 10-Apr-09 22:15:24

Just logged in since yesterday! So sorry for the delay - all this info has been so helpful, I am so glad I have heard so many different stories before I make a decision- I think I am swaying towards giving it a try BUT & a BIG BUT- only if the general feeling is that if it does NOT suit me , the side effects go soon after removal?!?!?! & don't stick around long term?!?!? Can anyone shed some light on this?
smile

quickienamechangee Fri 10-Apr-09 22:35:25

I felt better as I drove home from the doctors! No headache at all today and feel much sparkier and more like me. Slight bleed but thats it so far. Never again!!!

benandalex Sun 12-Apr-09 09:41:22

im thinking about having mine removed have had in for almost 3 years now cannot lose weight have horrible spots and increase in dishcharge i just hope my doc wont try and talk me out of it !!

mookyjordan Tue 05-May-09 12:06:21

I thought I would put my story about the Mirena coil on here as I've read SO much about it and it's all been such a help. I hope I can help others!

I think it's great that some woman are fine on it, but I have to say, I do wonder for some if they really are, or they just think they are!

I had the coil taken out last Thursday after 4 years of it being in. Totally painless and really quick by the way. Nothing like it going in which wasn't too pleasant and I felt a bit dizzy afterwards! I had my children only 18 months apart, 2 c/sections with them both and I really didn't want to go through it all again, not quickly anyway. I had my boy in December 2004 and in the following March I had the Mirena put in. I've always thought it was brilliant. No periods at all (although is this really a good thing? I'm not sure) and I thought I was ok. I never got on with the pill and had to come off it eventually due to bad migraines. I was on it at 16 due to horrendous period pains each month. I'd be sick with it, literally. I thought, and was told, the Mirena would be fine as the hormone is localised.

For the last few months I've felt like I've had more 'lows' than 'highs' and haven't felt great. I do get quite a few headaches and some nasty migraines. I had one last week and I was sick (before coil came out!). I feel angry too, impatient at times. I therefore decided to take out the coil - see how I felt and if after 4 years of it the hormone is too much for me. The nurse was lovely and told me to give it 6 months and that if I have struggled with hormones in the past I may very well feel better off it.

I have immediately felt better! I feel less angry and aggressive and I'm also less podgy!! Only been a few days but my sister and mother noticed. My face is thinner and my clothes feel more comfortable. I've deflated!!! I thought I was bigger than I've ever been due to having 2 children and 2 c/sections but maybe not! No-one is big/overweight in my family. My mum is tiny! I also read about a woman who said she got a hairy chin on the coil. Well I've had that too!!! My head has felt ok but we'll see if I get any migraines again. I just feel like a cloud has been lifted but it's early days and I hope to improve more and more. I haven't bled, just a slight discharge the other day. Nothing else.

I'll never go back on it. If my period pains are ok, bearable, I think I'll try the copper coil later in the year. I'll see and the nurse suggested I keep a diary of how I feel. When you read everyone experiences it helps you to realise that you are not mad and that people do get affected by these things. I want to be me and to have my body back and to be in control of it all.

Hormones are NOT for me! Not sure what I'll use instead!!

Hope this helps someone

maria56 Mon 01-Jun-09 15:11:27

i am so glad I read this blog. I was beginning to think I had lost the plot. Since having this coil fitted, I have gained loads of weight, lost interest in sex and can't stop itching. My doctor says it is not the coil -ha! I am having it removed and will have to put up with the heavy bleeding if I am not through the menopause quite. It is not worth all this. I also have been depressed and this is from someone who is the eternal optimist!

Thank you for making me realise I am not alone in this.

frostyfingers Tue 02-Jun-09 09:35:27

I posted earlier on this thread having just had Mirena out after 7 years. A couple of months on, and with a copper coil fitted the difference in how I feel is huge.

No more mood swings and murderous pmt, yes I get a little tetchy but barely. No more headaches, no more spots (well only a few easily hideable ones!) and no more feeling like the world is going to end and that I'm going mad bursting into tears at any given moment. I do have some minor tenderness in my stomach and mild cramp, but nothing like the crippling pains I had before.

My periods are much heavier, and having not had to deal with that it takes a bit of getting used to, they're lasting around 7-10 days, but they turn up regular as clockwork (at the moment, anyway). I feel much happier in myself, my dh has noticed and sex is more frequent which was a huge issue previously (he couldn't understand how I felt, and although sympathetic was very confused by the madwoman I had become!)

So, I don't regret for one instant having the Mirena out, and whilst I think it may be worth it for some, if anyone starts feeling peculiar don't do as I did, and believe the doctors that it was depression, and that I needed ad's and counselling - they weren't keen on me having it taken out (money), but I'm glad I persevered!

stephie101 Tue 02-Jun-09 13:22:57

Please help anyone, I had the Mirena out 5 weeks ago, have had no Period, and have done 4 pregnancy tests which are all negative. Any advice on what could be the hold up with my period?

Thanks

Stephie

misslyd82 Tue 18-Aug-09 16:01:08

hi everyone im new to this! i have had the mirena coil in for 2 yrs now and since day 1 i have became a 26 yr old emotional spotty fat wreck to put it blunty. lol. i feel awful im miserable spotty feel low got no interest with sex with my partner im snappy ratty,i am still bleeding and this is the reason the doctor recommended it ggrr, i am having it took out a wk today i do feel a bit anxious as i was asleep when i had it put in.
i am sooo glad i found this site its not just me!! ; )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now