Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How much do broken bones hurt??

(8 Posts)
fuzzywuzzy Sat 23-Apr-05 17:10:18

If I'd borken my foot would I be in a huge great deal of pain the day after??
I twisted my foot (note not my ankle), and about two seconds later upon glancing down at my foot, I had(what looked to me) like a second ankle growing an inch below my little toe the swelling spread and I have now got a lovely bruised foot which is roughly about 1.5 times the size it used to be (an improvement on last night when it was twice the size).
I hate bothering my GP, and if my foot is OK then I dont want to go to the GP, it only hurts when I stand on the foot, and sort of throbs halfheartedly when I'm sitting...Should I bother the doctor or am I just being a great big baby???

beansprout Sat 23-Apr-05 17:17:44

It's worth getting it checked. The foot has lots of v small bones which don't hurt as much as a major fracture (arm. leg). I would have thought that you are unlikely to break a bone from twisting your foot but stranger things have happened hey, I'm not medically trained, just talking from my experience.

If it still hurts, please go and get it checked. It's ok, you are allowed! I'm the same - ooh, no, won't waste their time but if it is still hurting, it's probably best. They won't mind, honest!!

peckarollover Sat 23-Apr-05 17:20:41

i would get it checked, my mam went over on her ankle a few years ago and never got it checked - turned out she had done something and it never healed properly - she has big problems with it now and a very noticable limp.

not trying to scare you just think its best to get it checked over quickly - do you have a drop in place? i always feel less like im timewasting if i go there!

Lonelymum Sat 23-Apr-05 17:21:18

When I broke my arm, it hurt like buggery, but ds2 broke his leg and ds1 broke his arm twice and, apart from the first time ds1 broke his arm when he had visible contortion (is that the word I mean?) I found that the pain for them didn't seem too bad, ie it was a day before I checked out ds2's leg and ds1's second arm break. So, no, I don't think the pain need necessarily be that bad.

Whether it is broken or not, I would recommend you don't walk on it and keep it raised for as much as possible.

fairydust Sat 23-Apr-05 17:52:29

my mil twisted her foot on a the edge of a pavemen and it swelled and brusied you hobbled around for 2 weeks when in the end dh forced her to go to the hosptial turned out she's fractured it in three places.

Tissy Sat 23-Apr-05 18:01:55

you can break a bone by twisting your foot quite easily, but if it's not too sore, it won't be a bad break, and probably doesn't need a cast. Your doctor will only send you to casualty for an X-ray, so if you really want it looked at, I'd give them a ring to find out their quiet times, and go along there.

LIZS Sat 23-Apr-05 18:30:07

When did you do it ? If only yesterday , say then you could still go to A and E yourself. If a few days ago and have followed the R(est)I(ce)C(ompression)E(levation) treatment but it is still very painful then you'll need an xray to check for fractures. Not much point going to gp unless you need a referral - they'll probably dismiss it as a sprain or refer you to hospital for an Xray anyway. Having sprained my ankle/foot many times but only occasionally had it treated I'm sure I've done damage without having it resolved and suffer a weak ankle as a consequence.

bensmum3 Sat 23-Apr-05 19:48:18

My Ds broke a bone in his foot a few weeks ago, walked home from the friends where he had done it, didnt even mention it, when he got in the bath that night I was really shocked, it was huge and a few days later completely black. Gp said just to rest it, and elevate when possible, although if you have altered sensation in your toes it might be worth getting it checked. Hope it feels better soon !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now