Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

my right boob is REALLY hurting

(7 Posts)
trinityrocks Sat 23-Apr-05 09:50:20

baby is 13 days old and my boobs have been quite settled for the past few days but this morning when the baby cried and my boobs filled the right one hurt like hell whilst it did it and now is really hurting. the left one is totally fine and she has fed well from thr right one this morning and I checked that I could still get some out.
Any ideas, I really don't want to mess up breastfeeding.

Kelly1978 Sat 23-Apr-05 09:53:52

Is it mastitis or a blockage? I've jsut had my second bout of mastitis, it causes soreness, inflamation and I got a really bad fever with it. Whichever it is you need to feed from that side as much as possible to relieve it, try hot and cold compresses, and if it is mastitis you need to get plenty of rest.

HTh

zebraX Sun 24-Apr-05 20:42:58

Bump for you, trinityrocks. Is it red & tender to the touch? That's what mastitis was like for me... I managed to clear it myself with massage, but mine was a mild case. You should see a GP tomorrow if it's not better, now.

debs26 Sun 24-Apr-05 20:57:20

i also got flu like symptoms with mastitis, had it really badly. would ring hv or midwife tomorrow and get their opinion as i left it too long and milk dried up. in case it is a blockage try putting warm flannels on and massaging when feeding. you can also try feeding in a warm bath to get milk flowing.

appleblossom Sun 24-Apr-05 21:28:40

Hi I had problems like this a couple of times and the best advice i had was put something warm on it, ie flannel, or wheat bag if you have one. Keep feeding from it too. Once I ended up at the docs but the other couple of times it cleared up after 24 hrs or so

SPARKLER1 Sun 24-Apr-05 21:30:53

I used to find having a shower helped when I was breast feeding and got painful breasts. The warm water helps and then you leak everywhere to your hearts content without worrying about making a mess.

Aero Sun 24-Apr-05 21:38:07

Agree with Kelly. My ds2 is 15 months now but I really suffered with mastitis and ended up on abs twice! You really need to get the milk moving so feeding on that side as often as you can until it unblocks is a good idea - babies have a very powerful suck and I often found ds to be much better at clearing blockages than i was. Heat and gentle massage will help too. Make the flannel as hot as you can stand it and put it on the painful area. If no luck moving the milk, you will need to be seen, esp if you get other flu like symptoms. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now