Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

three days on patches and i'm about to crack

(78 Posts)
southeastastra Wed 01-Apr-09 20:21:38

i can't quit! argh i just want one cigarette, just one lovely cigarette

ahappymummy Wed 01-Apr-09 20:23:36

DONT!!!!
Have you read alan carr the easy way to give up?

FigmentOfYourImagination Wed 01-Apr-09 20:24:55

but they aren't lovely. They're expensive, smelly teeth yellowing, gross tasting and will push you into an early grave via a selection of terrifically hideous and undignified smoking related illnesses.

Yum

ahappymummy Wed 01-Apr-09 20:25:41

and they make your hair smell...

ahappymummy Wed 01-Apr-09 20:26:06

and your clothes...

ahappymummy Wed 01-Apr-09 20:26:35

and they give you stained fingers...

Haribosmummy Wed 01-Apr-09 20:27:21

Please remember that 3 days is about as bad as it gets.... Honest!!!

Your physical addiction is being starved and your mental addiction is being tested...

IT WILL GET EASIER.

It's a battle of the wills and you CAN win.

I got so close to breaking that I had the ciggie / ashtray / lighter... but I won and it's been 13 years since I smoked now!! grin

YOU CAN DO IT

HumphreyCobbler Wed 01-Apr-09 20:27:38

day three is the worst it gets. I ran screaming through the house and hid under the duvet blush.

Don't give in now, tomorrow will be better I promise.

I was truly addicted for years. Four years on I can barely remember what it was like and find it hard to imagine that it was nice.

southeastastra Wed 01-Apr-09 20:27:57

i know, i'm sucking on an inhaler now hmm

not good is it. alan carr doesn't recommend patches but i've done three days which is a record for me

argh i'm all antsy

BCNS Wed 01-Apr-09 20:29:30

helpline

don't do it.. you can do this!!!

brush your teeth.. drink some iced water.. get busy.. you can do it!

southeastastra Wed 01-Apr-09 20:29:42

i feel like a failure already cause i'm on the patches though

HumphreyCobbler Wed 01-Apr-09 20:30:10

hot bath with lavendar oil in it and a huge glass of wine?

Failing that, some chocolate?

CharleeInSpring Wed 01-Apr-09 20:30:28

Just keep MNing to try and take your mind off it a little, maybe you could have a relaxing bath or a glass of wine, anything to keep your mind busy but stress free is best.

Your doing a great thing giving up so don't erm give up, giving up! grin

ahappymummy Wed 01-Apr-09 20:30:40

have you read alan carr?????

HumphreyCobbler Wed 01-Apr-09 20:31:01

no, you are NOT failing because of patches.

You have done three days. WELL DONE.

BCNS Wed 01-Apr-09 20:31:04

not a fialure at all.. your doing brilliantly!!

CharleeInSpring Wed 01-Apr-09 20:31:12

Patches are not cheating or failing, you are not phusicaly inhailing thousands of chemicals and toxins into your precious lungs with patches!

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 01-Apr-09 20:31:23

Don't - you can do it, we gave up smoking 18 months ago, put the money aside and went on a fabulous holiday, give yourself an incentive with the money you save.

FairLadyOfMuslinCloth Wed 01-Apr-09 20:33:35

patches are shit....because well...smoking isn't just about nicotine...it is also about the habit itself....try to keep busy with your hands....it is hard but so worth it....

drlove8 Wed 01-Apr-09 20:34:17

fags give you "hens arse mouth" and wrinkles!...... 3 days without is brilliant! grin<- this is you showing off your lovely white nicoteen-stain free smile! wink

southeastastra Wed 01-Apr-09 20:34:30

i have the book and the video and the cd!

very scared to touch alchol as that will probably make my craving worse. it's just horrible when it comes even with patches. really shouting at the kids (they don't know i'm stopping) thanks for listening

ahappymummy Wed 01-Apr-09 20:36:54

oh...i stopped from smoking 60 a day so you can 2!!!
Just dont give in to it hun,its so not worth it!

drlove8 Wed 01-Apr-09 20:38:09

<<<<speaks in hypnotic voice>>>>> repeat after me..... southeastastra is a non-smoker, southeastastra is a non-smoker, think lovely fluffy things, fags are evil..southeastastra is a non-smoker....

southeastastra Wed 01-Apr-09 20:40:05

grin drlove

do you really think patches are bad fairlady? i don't think i could do it at all cold turkey.

how did you stop ahappymummy?

i keep going from euphoric to demented atm

stanausauruswrecks Wed 01-Apr-09 20:43:13

Seven minutes is all you need to distract yourself for, the craving will have subsided by then. Three days is a fantastic achievement - you should be reallly proud of yourself grin
have you tried this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now