Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

PLEASE HELP! Have just taken ds2 temp as he feels boiling

(19 Posts)
dropinthe Fri 22-Apr-05 11:53:58

registered after much squirming at 36.8 but I'm sure it went above 38 the first time I tried-what is this in fareinheit? Cant get him to the Drs as ds1 has the first day of raging chickenpox and is really ill too.

dropinthe Fri 22-Apr-05 11:59:13

bump

dinosaur Fri 22-Apr-05 12:00:26

Not sure exactly but it is high. If you are a Calpol giver, I'd give him the maximum dose. He's probably coming down with chickenpox too. What age is he?

Sympathies - I fear my DS3 is coming down with measles...

BROWNY Fri 22-Apr-05 12:01:54

Dropinthe, this sounds a little bit high - have you given him calpol/ibuprofen? I'd phone your G.P. and speak to him - (my g.p.'s surgery allows me to speak to a doctor in surgery hours). Ask his advice, he may offer to come and see him at your house - if you doesn't ask him!

Toothache Fri 22-Apr-05 12:05:03

36.8 is a normal temp. Anything above 37.5 is a temperature. 38 is about 105 in farenheit.

It doesn't sound like he has a desperately high temp, but Calpol and/or Baby Neurofen should bring it down. Both together will bring it down quicker.

Hope he's okay. My dd and ds have Chicken Pox too!

Eowyn Fri 22-Apr-05 12:05:59

is there something going round with high temp? I just came on here to see if there was anything useful as dd has a temp of 38 but seems well otherwise, red cheeks so sent home from school (5).. I'm assuming she's ok ... but no idea what's caused it. don't know of chicken pox going round here.

WideWebWitch Fri 22-Apr-05 12:06:16

If you think it's high, strip him down, give Calpol and sponge him with tepid (NOT cold) water, those should get his temp down.

Toothache Fri 22-Apr-05 12:07:05

I think it's only worrying to GP's if the temp starts creeping into the 39.** degrees. As I'm sure you know already just make sure he isn't weating very much.... just a vest to be keep him cooler. Is he drinking water okay?

Toothache Fri 22-Apr-05 12:08:05

Eowyn - Ds had a random fever a few weeks back. Nothing else wrong, didn't complain of feeling ill. Then 10 days later the spots appeared!

Marina Fri 22-Apr-05 12:08:39

dropinthe, sponging him with tepid water will help too. We find that Ibuprofen takes longer to kick in but lasts longer and is more effective on temp reduction than Calpol with dd. But Calpol acts much quicker and is good for pain relief. Hope both of them feel better soon.
Dinosaur What makes you think that? I'm very sorry to hear it...

Ameriscot2005 Fri 22-Apr-05 12:09:14

38C is 100F

Eowyn Fri 22-Apr-05 12:09:28

oh nooo, i know we have to have it some time but really don't look forward to it. i work part time so it's awkward if she gets ill ..

Toothache Fri 22-Apr-05 12:12:50

Eowyn - My Childminder is still taking DD 8.5mths(who caught it from ds and is totally covered!)...as she doesn't mind if her ds catches it.... better sooner than later. But Ds Nursery (where he caught it!!) wouldn't take him even though ALL the oterh kids had had it and the staff had already been exposed! Weird.
It's really difficult juggling it isn't it.

Ameriscot2005 - My wee formula mustn't work for higher temperatures! Oooops.

dropinthe Fri 22-Apr-05 12:12:54

Thanks for the advice -he has just recovered from the pox-have stripped him,dosed him on Nurofen(alternating with Calpol)-I was just concerned because he wouldnt keep still long enough for me to get an accurate reading-however,he is now running round the living room hitting ds1(who is three)-he is only one!!

Toothache Fri 22-Apr-05 12:13:41

lol sounds fine then!

Ameriscot2005 Fri 22-Apr-05 12:14:36

Toothache:

it's x9 /5 +32

Marina Fri 22-Apr-05 12:14:38

wow those meds worked fast. If I have some perhaps I will regain the energy I need to run round the office hitting my colleagues

BROWNY Fri 22-Apr-05 12:15:10

They sure do bounce back quick these little ones - don't they? Glad he's feeling better!

WideWebWitch Fri 22-Apr-05 14:01:39

marvellous! He's obv ok if he's got the energy to hit! at Marina!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now