Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Reactive Arthritis; has anyone had it?

(8 Posts)
IlanaK Fri 27-Mar-09 21:02:19

I had never heard of this before, but it looks like I now have it after some sort of stomach bug. Massively bad joint pain in elbows, wrists, thumbs, ankles, knees and shoulders. I am seeing a GP on MOnday, but I was wondering if anyone else has any experience of it?

whomovedmychocolate Fri 27-Mar-09 21:06:19

Yes, I had it after I had a uterine infection after having DS - god it was awful. You need strong antibiotics to fight the infection which is causing your immune system to attack your joints. Ibuprofen will help the pain in the short term. It does go eventually once the bacterial infection is cured (but it can take months to completely abate.)

IlanaK Fri 27-Mar-09 21:08:12

Oh god - that's what I thought. Mine is a gut infection I think, but no-one has offered me any antibiotics yet. The pain is aweful and I was hoping it would be gone in a day or two. sad

whomovedmychocolate Sat 28-Mar-09 19:55:19

Umm take a stool sample and ask for it to be cultured. If it's a gut infection then this will allow the right drugs to be given.

Musukebba Sat 28-Mar-09 20:38:33

IlanaK has another thread about the same thing here:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/728738-What-are-these-symptoms-Really-fed-up-now

lalarachel Tue 07-Apr-09 10:21:42

I had this when I was 13, paired with conjunctivitis. It wasn't painful for me, I just noticed my joints giving way, and I was on strong drugs for about 3 months. It's pretty rare so it's quite possible you have something else instead, what did your doctor say?

moshie Tue 07-Apr-09 10:31:07

Oh yes, it was horrendous. my heels were affected worst, making it very painful to walk. The antibiotics upset my stomach again so it was vicious circle.

harlot76 Tue 04-Aug-09 12:21:56

Not sure if this message is a tad late but I suffered with reactive arthritis in my feet for 3 months some years ago after an infection. It was incredibly painful and I was barely able to walk for the
3 months. I was never offered antibiotics and had to take coedeine every day as well as weekly injections.

i am now 30 weeks pregnant and suffering from joint pain in my hands, heels, ankles and elbows. Has anyone had arthritis develop during pregnancy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now