Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CS scar and sunbathing!!!

(17 Posts)
mrspink27 Thu 21-Apr-05 09:30:12

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience
just come back from a sunny holiday, and found it really difficult to sunbathe with my tummy uncovered, betweenmy belly button and scar, obviously my scar was not on show or anything like! but even thru a costume or bikini bottoms after a couple of minutes of the sun shining on that area it became really sore. once it was covered up again the soreness went!
anyone else??

bibiboo Thu 21-Apr-05 11:20:33

my scar is covered in a layer of hangy-down belly so I can't help i'm afraid, but would think it was normal to feel a bit of discomfort in bright, hot sunlight. how old is the scar?

Dophus Thu 21-Apr-05 11:22:30

Mine also shaded my overhang!

SkiBunnyFlummy Thu 21-Apr-05 11:23:19

Dunno about that but................. had CS 14 months ago and tummy is STILL totally numb from scar up to tummy button.

Is that normal?

Saw a beautiful CS scar the other day. It was same age as mine and had been elective not ER like mine . It was like a silver thread, v. pretty.

Mine ugly , bumpy , meandering worm

Lonelymum Thu 21-Apr-05 11:26:16

I have a huge scar (8 inches long) running vertically up my stomach (not a CS scar I hasten to add!). I can't say I have ever had that problem you describe although it used to be very painful to stecth the scar by lying flat on my back for any length of time).

koalabear Thu 21-Apr-05 11:26:35

bizzare but true - rub ZINC CREAM into it (get from chemist) - it really helps both with the comfort side, but also to reduce the lumpiness (over time of course)

also helps if you get the white one, not the pink or green one

Lonelymum Thu 21-Apr-05 11:29:57

SkiBF: just read your post. It sounds as though you have what I have: a keloid scar (ie, your scar overhealed). If so, I am afriad there is not much you can do about it being bumpy and wormlike but it does gradually fade a bit. My scar is nearly 20 years old and is now flat and nearly skin coloured but will never be a silvery line.

Also, the numbness may be normal. I had numbness between my scar and my belly button for a long time and the gap is only about one inch. It takes time for the cut nerve ends to regrow. 14 months doesn't seem long for that.

SkiBunnyFlummy Thu 21-Apr-05 11:35:02

oh right. thanks Lonely mum. how was your move by the way.

my dd was wearing one of the dresses I bought from you yesterday. Laura Ashley navyblue pinafore - very pretty

Lonelymum Thu 21-Apr-05 11:37:34

Move is still happening IYSWIM. We are stuck in limbo between three houses. Just about to start the stressful buying bit of house 3.

Glad the clothes are being worn and enjoyed. Have stacks more to sell. Spent all yesteday ironing and folding clothes and putting them in a huge box to keep them nice.

SkiBunnyFlummy Thu 21-Apr-05 11:40:28

well I'm sorted til winter I reckon for her clothes. but am sold on the second hand business. especially as giving up work soon and will have much less money.

legacy Thu 21-Apr-05 11:45:27

SkiBF/ Lonely Mum.... there IS something you can do about raised, red, lumpy scars - SCAR REDUCTION PATCHES

I had the same with my 2nd CS scar, and a friend recommended them to me - available from Boots eitehr from Elastoplast (I think) or even their own label. I wore them overnight and they really DID work, I know have a flat, barely visible, silvery scar.

mrspink27 Thu 21-Apr-05 11:47:28

scar is 8mths,and I to have an overhang! mine was en emergency cs to.my overhang disappears when i lie flat,..... almost!!!and scar is great on one end but bumpy on the other. the bumpy end is the side where when the stitches came out was not quite healed and has been the side where if i over do it or iron ( bizarrely and rather conveniently) or overstretch where it pulls.

legacy Thu 21-Apr-05 11:49:18

Here you go...

Scar Reduction Patches

By the way, I cut each strip in half lengthways and taped together to cover my long thin CS scar - seemed to work fine, and made each box last a month!

SkiBunnyFlummy Thu 21-Apr-05 11:52:35

legacy, how long did you do it for?

i got vitamin e cream , put it on a total of 3 times.

figure might have more kids, they always want to slice you open again if they've had a rummage about already so whats the point in making it beautiful if its just gonna be re-gashed. IYSWIM

SkiBunnyFlummy Thu 21-Apr-05 11:53:33

legacy, how long did you do it for?

i got vitamin e cream , put it on a total of 3 times.

figure might have more kids, they always want to slice you open again if they've had a rummage about already so whats the point in making it beautiful if its just gonna be re-gashed. IYSWIM

legacy Thu 21-Apr-05 11:54:10

Every night for about 2 months I think?

Think we've finished breeding now......

snafu Thu 21-Apr-05 11:56:40

SBF, I've got an abdominal scar that's 15 years old and still totally numb ...so I think numbness is normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now