Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Fosamax one a week

(8 Posts)
Davros Thu 21-Apr-05 08:52:36

Does anyone else take this? I've just been given it and I'm putting off thinking about it by pretending I'm making a decision about what day of the week would be best. But, does anyone have any advice on what day to take it? I think weekends and Monday would be a bad idea as lack of routine and chaos at start of week. I suppose I don't really want to take it but I'll have to

suedonim Thu 21-Apr-05 09:47:37

Is that an anti-osteoporosis medication? Istr that you need to stay upright for at least half an hour afterwards so I guess planning a time when that's likely to happen would be best, perhaps when you'll be doing something you enjoy.

Davros Thu 21-Apr-05 10:10:47

Yes, that lets out during sex on both counts

noddyholder Thu 21-Apr-05 10:29:40

my doctors are talking about giving me this as I have been on steroids for years and my bones are thinning Can you tell me what it is and if it has side effects as I am on enough medicines with side effects as it is XX

suedonim Thu 21-Apr-05 10:47:24

Davros

Davros Thu 21-Apr-05 17:52:08

Same reason for me Noddyholder. I haven't got bone thinning yet but they want me to take it now to "plan ahead" and I really thought they were going to take me off the steroids and discharge me in Jan, now they 10x the dose
I didn't ask about side effects (doh) but I'll have a look at the packet. They also gave me some jumbo pills to chew/suck at night which I think have Vit D and are related to bone health. I'll have a look at those too and get back to you. How long have you been on steroids? I've been on them for about 8 years now which they think is no time at all but is a life time to me.

noddyholder Fri 22-Apr-05 07:22:51

I have been on them 20 years !!I had my 1st kidney in 1985 and 2nd in 2000 and have been on them all along.I am on vit d supplements and am due a bone scan in a month to check again I hate taking them What do you take them for?Don't answer if I'm too nosey!

Davros Fri 22-Apr-05 13:36:36

I've got an auto-immune disease called Scleroderma which affects your lungs and skin.
I was reading the side effects of Fosamax last night and Dh forbade me to take it
It basically says that side effects are very rare. I suppose you'd take it and see if you get them, I'll probably start next week now. Side effects can be:

- gastric/digestive "disturbances"! But it says can be due to not drinking full glass of water or staying upright
- bone, muscle or joint pain
- abdominal pain, bloating, consitpation, diarrhoea, flatulence (!)
- rash, itching, eye pain
- allergic reaction

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: