Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Acne - any tips or tricks?

(13 Posts)
ETsmum Thu 21-Apr-05 08:28:18

Hi

This is definitely not a life threatening problem but one that has plagued me since about my mid-teens (27 now!)

I have bad acne on my face(scars and new spots - yuk!) And some on my back, though not as bad. Am currently on antibiotics and cream from the dr. Seemed to help initially (1st couple of weeks) but now nothing. Have tried another type of anti-b's from the dr, plus other creams. Don't like taking the tablets long term though, but am getting desperate. I use t-tree oil stuff to wash with. Don't like make up as makes my skin feel all clogged up, and quite frankly have given up worrying about others opinions.

Would just love to improve it a bit. Any suggestions, however bizarre appreciated!

sax7743 Thu 21-Apr-05 08:41:38

There are a range of products which i use (I have acne roseca) called MD Formulations which I would swear by. They are a bit pricey but last ages and are specially designed for problem skin. The only problem is that not many places stock them. Also, try Liz Earle. I use her products too. She sells on QVC or on her web site, try here. this
I also think that Tea Tree products may be too harsh for your skin (I can't use them) and may have a drying effect which would cause the skin to dehydrate and consequently produce spots.

bubblerock Thu 21-Apr-05 08:52:41

Have you ever been prescribed panoxyl aquagel? I was prescribed it by my GP this week after having worsening skin since November, I've never had great skin though (I'm 29)

This gel stuff is grim, it's like wearing a hardened face pack all day my skin is so tight, I can imagine it's like a mild chemical peel. I'm carrying on with it though and hoping I will have gorgeous skin at the end of it

DillyDally Thu 21-Apr-05 09:20:56

I have adult acne and was temtped to try microdermabrasion to get rid of scars so would love to know if anyone has experience of that
For products, I use decleor ylang ylang oil at the minute under my moisturiser and absolutely have to cleanse and tone (it doesnt matter which brand as long as the toner doesnt have alcohol for me) as if I forget to tone in particular, I break out a lot more
The spots dont go, but are more under the skin (if I am making sense)than on the surface
I had pills and gel too and stopped taking them beacuse of the daylight sensitivity side effect

ETsmum Thu 21-Apr-05 09:35:05

Thanks so much for your responese - have several new things to follow up Have any of you had probs with your gp seeming a bit "disinterested" for lack of a better word? Feel a bit frustrated with mine as it's been going on SO long. Thanks for showing me that there are others out there with "bad" skin as well - feel guite seeing people with lovely smooth ski!

bossykate Thu 21-Apr-05 09:48:14

ask your gp to refer you to a dermatologist. i too suffered far too long at the hands of uninterested and underinformed gps. eventually i was prescribed roaccutane - it is a miracle and permanent. not for everyone though and you need to be monitored while you take it. gps don't/can't prescribe it, it needs to be a dermatologist. hth.

sax7743 Thu 21-Apr-05 09:50:00

It was my GP who told ME I had acne Roseca! I was given Rosex(sp) which I apply to problem areas twice a day and try to avoid wine (not v successfully).

I know you don't like makup on your skin but try Bare Essentuals (same company as MD Formulations) and it's sold on QVC. The foundation is "Good enough to sleep in" and contains minerals which help problem skin.

DillyDally Thu 21-Apr-05 09:52:35

I second the bare escentuals range of make up
the foundation is fab

sax7743 Thu 21-Apr-05 10:19:06

Hi DillyDally

I don't know a about you, but it has improved my skin. It also seems to stay all day and takes no time to do. Do you use the mineral veil, it "sets" the make-up?

sax7743 Thu 21-Apr-05 10:20:14

DillyDally

I don't know a about you, but it has improved my skin. It also seems to stay all day and takes no time to do. Do you use the mineral veil, it "sets" the make-up?

DillyDally Thu 21-Apr-05 10:22:28

Yep to mineral veil and to clear radiance as a very subtle blusher
not as keen on the bronzers

sax7743 Thu 21-Apr-05 10:26:13

Not tried the bronzers yet, will probably wait until summer.

TrophyWife Thu 21-Apr-05 10:27:08

Hi ETsmum. i had a face full of spots and i got a soap of this mumsnetter, she has just started making soaps and did me one with lemon,lime and teatree. and it worked i just washed my face with it twice a day and it cleared them all up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now