Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

2 month immunisations, possible side affects.

(11 Posts)
sweetbean Wed 20-Apr-05 07:26:44

my daughter is about to have hear 2 month jabs and i wanted to know if there are any side affects from the whopping cough vaccine or any of the other ones can anyone help?????

saadia Wed 20-Apr-05 07:38:36

When my dss had their two month jabs, there were no side effects except for a temperature, for which we were told to give some Calpol. In fact, some people advise giving Calpol even before their temperature rises as a preventive measure.

We were also told that the Whooping Cough vaccine remains live and comes out in their poos, so if you don't have immunity to it you have to be very careful when changing nappies and wash hands thoroughly, which I'm sure most people do anyway.

Hope it all goes well,

saadia Wed 20-Apr-05 07:42:40

Sorry I should have said it's the polio vaccine that remains live

misdee Wed 20-Apr-05 07:43:21

the polio vaccine is no longer live is it?

Flossam Wed 20-Apr-05 07:46:03

No it isn't. Baby might be a bit grizzly iMe even without a temp.

sweetbean Wed 20-Apr-05 07:58:49

ok so these ones are safe and there are no known bad side affects that are assocated unlike the MMR????

bobbybob Wed 20-Apr-05 08:06:26

All injections and drugs carry some risks as well as benefits. Here in NZ they are clearly explained in the baby book, along with the possible side effects per 100,000 along with the possible complications of having the disease per 100,000.

sweetbean Wed 20-Apr-05 08:12:56

hi bobbybob
what dose it say about these are they safe or have there been bad side affects linked please help.

bobbybob Wed 20-Apr-05 08:35:59

Here is the link to the NZ site which says the same as the baby book. Major disclaimer here because I don't know if you have the same DTap and DTap/Hib in the UK

nz site with details

Like I said everything carries risk - the vaccines and the diseases both have risks. Neither having the vaccines or having the diseases will ever be completely safe.

sweetbean Wed 20-Apr-05 08:58:52

thanks bobbybob
Will have a good look at the site.Just out of intrest did you vaccinate you children?

bobbybob Wed 20-Apr-05 10:38:01

I have one son. He had the course of DTap/Hib. He remains unvaccinated against MMR, but that is because of his allergies to some of the ingredients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now