Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

lump in mouth = mucocele (anyone had this?)

(18 Posts)
kid Tue 19-Apr-05 22:12:36

I've had a lump in my mouth for about 2 months now. Just been looking on the internet andI am 100% certain it is a mucocele.

Unfortunately, I am terrified (I mean absolutely terrified!) by needles but according to the information I have read, I will have to have needles. This alone is enough to put me off going to the dentist.

Has anyone had this before and is there anything I can do myself to help it on its way. Some mucocele's do disappear by themselves but any swelling or lumps should be reported to your dentist if still there after 2 weeks

Someone tell me good news, please

juniperdewdrop Tue 19-Apr-05 22:32:43

not had one but bumping for you hun. Is it painful? Could you have hypnotherapy to calm you before the needle?

Hope someone can advise.

suedonim Tue 19-Apr-05 22:47:03

Is it that you are scared of having an injection in your mouth? My dentist numbs up the area, before she does an injection, with a wad of cotton wool impregnated with a local anaesthetic. It makes the jag almost painfree. If you explain your worries to the dentist I'm sure they will make it as stress-free as poss.

kid Tue 19-Apr-05 22:47:07

When I was pregnant and had to have a blood test, I had to be given a valium tablet first.

The lump doesn't hurt, its just irritating. Its on my lower lip so rubs across my teeth all the time.

I pass out at the sight of a needle and my dentist isn't very caring with my fear of needles . Its not my fault, I wish I wasn't scared of them but I am.

kid Tue 19-Apr-05 22:49:00

I wouldn't mind having the area numbed with cotton wool first.

When I had a c-section, I had drip inserted. The hospital very kindly numbed the area first so I wouldn't feel the drip going in. They numbed it with an injection

juniperdewdrop Tue 19-Apr-05 22:52:50

at your dentist. Mine can be a right grumpy arse too at times but I tell him.

There's a stress managment dentist clinic near to us that DS2 had to go to, I wonder if there's one near you that you could be refered too?

juniperdewdrop Tue 19-Apr-05 22:55:26

this is the one near to me

kid Wed 20-Apr-05 10:51:42

Just phoned the Dentist. My dentist has left so I can be seen by a different one at the same surgery, fingers crossed he is a bit more sympathetic! I asked them about the lump in my mouth, whether a Dr could remove it I need to see a dentist, she didn't know. I asked her if she had an idea how much it would cost, again she has no idea.

I have also phoned the Doctor and they are phoning me back between 12 and 2:30. I really hope they can remove it for me. I hope its a nice doctor phoning back. Preferably one that knows my history and fear of needles!

kaylasmum Wed 20-Apr-05 15:55:20

hi kid'
I have exactly the same thing. I noticed it about a week ago. It is very small and painless and it does seem to get smaller and then larger again from time to time. Have you spoken to your doctor about it yet? I'd be interested to hear what he says.

Kaylasmum

kid Wed 20-Apr-05 16:44:56

kaylasmum - at last, someone else that has it, I was beginning to feel alone
The Dr did call me and said I should go in and see them. I am going at some point tomorrow, it depends when they can fit me in.

You should wait for 2 weeks to see if your one disappears by itself, if not, then contact your doctor or dentist.

I told the Dr that I hate needles and I hate dentists even more, she just laughed!

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

juniperdewdrop Wed 20-Apr-05 16:50:52

Hope it goes ok for you tomorrow hun. Lots of people are scared of needles so don't take any notice of anyone laughing ((((hugs))))

kid Thu 21-Apr-05 12:39:30

Been to the Dr's and I have been referred to the London Hospital. THe lump has to be removed but can't be done at the Dr surgery as the mouth is very bloody! Sounds great
Anyway, should hear from the hospital in the next month.

bundle Thu 21-Apr-05 12:47:57

kid they're brilliant there, so don't fret. do tell them straight away that you are v nervous about anything to do with injections. glad you're getting it sorted

crazy Thu 21-Apr-05 12:51:18

Hi, I have some hope for you, my dd had a mucocele at the age of 3 months, which I found out was really rare, for a baby to have my brother is a dentist, so was luckily able to identify it straight away.

My brothers advice was just to leave it and it would most likely to disappear on it own, only to interfere with it, if it stopped her feeding, as it got slightly bigger it did start to trouble her when feeding, so I took her to the Whitehall dentist hospital, they talked about operating which sounded horrific, and something I really wanted to avoid.

My brother again advised me to wait and let it go by itself, so I weaned my dd alot earlier than I had wanted to at 16weeks to help her eat more ( which it did) and 2 weeks later it vanished. So 6 weeks in total.

So my advice would be if it doesn't hurt to wait another 4-6 weeks and then reassess. HTH good luck

crazy Thu 21-Apr-05 12:56:00

Regarding the Whitehall hospital, (presuming its the same one) I found them very insistent on operating, and didn't once say it may go on its own. I sort of got the feeling that because it is a large student hospital, they just wanted the students to experiance/observe a mucocele operation. And they sort of presume if you have got to the point where you are being referred to the hospital it must be painful.

Do try and seek a second opinion

kid Fri 22-Apr-05 16:19:23

Thanks for your replies. Its the Royal London Hospital I have been referred to. When I go, I will make a point of telling them it isn't paibful.
I have had it for about 8 weeks already, so thought if it was going to disappear by now, it would have.

livingbythesea Mon 07-Jul-08 13:42:54

Hi
I suddenly developed a lump on my lower lip - it seemed to grow from nothing in about a week. Bewildered, I went to the Dr who referred me to the maxillofacial unit at the hospital as she wasn't sure exactly what it was. Of course I was worried it may be cancer but thankfully the hospital diagnosed as a mucocele. As it was fairly big (2.5cm) it was arranged I would have it removed by local anaesthetic. The appointment came through for two months' time but, a month later, it gradually began reducing in size and , after about 2 weeks, completely disappeared. SO, please try not to worry if you have one, my story has proved that they can and do just disappear given time x

junojac Fri 10-Jul-09 11:28:21

I have a mucocele that has been appearing and dissapering for years. I am having surgery in two weeks time for it to be removed and I am having a general anasthetic at day surgery. It will return so have it removed as soon as possible. I have been told that my dentist has concerns that it is pre cancerous, so obviously I am now terrified, but definatley want it sorted as it is so large now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now