Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

double periods

(3 Posts)
meysey Tue 19-Apr-05 13:48:25

My periods went a bit haywire when I stopped breastfeeding, having been regular as clockwork before and inbetween pregnancies.

Now they are in a worrying pattern. I have a week's period. It stops for a few days, and then I get another week of period. Then a longer gap than normal.

Can stopping breastfeeding several months ago still be causing this? Is it a menopause thing? (I am 40). Any ideas?

jamiesam Tue 19-Apr-05 21:58:04

Hi. I think I have similar problem. My periods started when ds2 was 9mths and I was still bf. Had previously also been regular. Since they started back this time (been a year now), I have cycles that basically alternate between 19 days and 6 days with occasional 21 day cycle.

I went to drs about 6 weeks ago, she did a brief internal, took smear (that was overdue by around a year anyway), felt my ovaries (through tummy) for suspected polycystic ovaries, and referred my to gynae for scan. Scan date just come through - June. Bit of a bummer really, as I had otherwise been hoping to ttc about now! Not sure if I am ovulating at all. With polycystic ovaries, I think that the little water/pus filled cysts on your ovaries confuse your hormones into creating false and sometimes over-frequent periods? However, dr suggested she would normally expect to feel the swollen ovaries if there were any significant no. of cysts, and she didn't find that. So I hope I get some answers from scan.

By the way, I think polycystic ovaries is/are different from polycystic ovaries syndrome (pcos) - from memory, symptoms of pcos include weight gain, infertility, acne.

I don't think that this is anything to do with menopause (I'm 37) but I can't remember why I think that! (Prev MN thread? Drs advise?)

Saw your message this afternoon but didn't have time to reply then. Really hoped there'd be loads of answers by now!

jamiesam Wed 20-Apr-05 12:46:06

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now