Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Just had my smear test but I bled. Is this normal?????

(16 Posts)
helsbels4 Thu 19-Mar-09 10:46:09

Have just come back from having my cervical smear test and when the nurse had finished, she said that my cervix had bled a bit and that I might notice some spotting for a while. I looked at the swab thing and it was bright red! blush I'm now terrified that something is very wrong or at the very least that they won't be able to see the cells properly because of the blood.
I'm quite hmm anyway because this same nurse did my smear last year and it came back that not enough cells could be reported on, hence the repeat. Has anyone else bled like this while the test was being done and gone on to have a normal result? Is there something wrong or was the nurse just a bit heavy-handed maybe? Getting myself in a tizz here!

RibenaBerry Thu 19-Mar-09 10:52:08

I had that a few years ago. It's apparantly totally normal as long (as long as it's not masses of blood). The risk, as you say, is that they might not be able to see the cells, but in my case it was fine and the result was all clear.

HTH. I am sure someone will be along soon with more detailed medical knowledge (I'm only speaking from personal experience).

ZoeC Thu 19-Mar-09 10:54:03

I always bled at smears until after having dd1 really, never bled for long and luckily never affected the sample they took (I was warned a couple of times that it may have done, in which case they would have called me back). I appeared to have a cervix that bled very easily.

Doesn't happen now strangely enough.

beanieb Thu 19-Mar-09 10:55:25

I bled, I was told I have a small Cervix. My smear had to be repeated.

hippipotamiHasLostNinePounds Thu 19-Mar-09 10:59:46

I bled at my one-before-last smear three years ago. The nurse warned me they may have to re-do the test but the results came through perfectly fine.
I had another smear last week and again spotted a little afterwards. Still awaiting results.

helsbels4 Thu 19-Mar-09 13:21:13

Thanks everyone, at least I'm not alone then! I was just a bit taken aback because I've had two smears before and haven't bled, so wondered what was different this time. My mind is going into over-drive sad

Beantin Thu 19-Mar-09 13:38:21

I usually do as I have a 'strawberry cervix', which is apparently a variation on 'normal' but menas I have a high tendency to bleed. That was pre-DS though, so not sure if will change. If nurse said all ok, then I would trust them. May need to have it done again though. Think there is something to do with stage of cycle and liklihood of bleeding, but may have that completely wrong.

helsbels4 Thu 19-Mar-09 20:49:56

I just don't know why it was different this time. I usually go mid-cycle and haven't ever bled before. Could it be that maybe the nurse was a bit more "heavy-handed" this time as there wasn't enough cells to report on last time, so she had a good old dig around???

IwishIwereonthebeach Thu 19-Mar-09 21:12:32

A bleeding cervix can be common, even more so when you are on the pill. I bled on my smear before last when I was on the pill and there was too much blood and had to go back for a repeat test. This time, off the pill I didn't bleed and they used the new fangled brush that they then dip in liquid so it was less invasive (if a speculum up your fanjo can be described as kess invasive) but I haven't had the results back yet.

Nemoandthefishes Thu 19-Mar-09 21:14:52

I hve bled at most of my smears due to cervix positing. You might find the smear comes back as inconclusive so you need another but dont fret about it. It does happen and doesnt mean anything

helsbels4 Fri 20-Mar-09 09:48:51

Thanks everyone! Am feeling a bit more reassured now smile. Don't fancy having to go back for another one as this was already a repeat due to not enough cells to report on last time but needs must I suppose. I don't suppose it was necessarily anything the nurse did in particular but as she did the last one as well, I think at least, I'll ask for someone else to do it next time.

Bucharest Fri 20-Mar-09 09:50:20

I always do- have you got cervical erosion? I have...it's nothing scary, just makes you bleed at smears...only thing is, you might get called back as if there is blood on their slide, they sometimes can't test enough cells.....I always have to do 2 or 3....

helsbels4 Fri 20-Mar-09 11:59:54

The nurse didn't mention that I had cervical erosion and I haven't bled with my previous two smears, so I don't know. The trouble is, I know the nurse who did this smear and the last time, she was less than professional and said to me, "Come on then, let's get this over with"! That smear came back that there wasn't enough cells to report on. I then requested a nurse that I didn't know for the repeat but then my appointment was cancelled and scheduled for the following day. I naively thought it would be with the same nurse but in fact it was with the nurse that I know, that did the last one. I'm just wondering if it's possible that she was determined to get enough cells this time (she's probably had enough of looking at my fanjo grin) so was a little rough maybe? Could that in itself have made me bleed???
Tbh, it doesn't matter if that was the case, as I'm definitely not going back to her again!!!

helsbels4 Sun 22-Mar-09 00:25:47

The nurse didn't mention that I had cervical erosion and I haven't bled with my previous two smears, so I don't know. The trouble is, I know the nurse who did this smear and the last time, she was less than professional and said to me, "Come on then, let's get this over with"! That smear came back that there wasn't enough cells to report on. I then requested a nurse that I didn't know for the repeat but then my appointment was cancelled and scheduled for the following day. I naively thought it would be with the same nurse but in fact it was with the nurse that I know, that did the last one. I'm just wondering if it's possible that she was determined to get enough cells this time (she's probably had enough of looking at my fanjo ) so was a little rough maybe? Could that in itself have made me bleed???
Tbh, it doesn't matter if that was the case, as I'm definitely not going back to her again!!!

helsbels4 Sun 22-Mar-09 00:26:27

oops, sorry blush

Iam123 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:55:28

Hi I got my 1st pap smear test done 2days ago n am still getting occasional drops or stains of blood at times, is it normal?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: