Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

sorry if tmi but has anyone had a prolapse or 2??

(36 Posts)
mishka Tue 19-Apr-05 11:21:39

I have just been to see my dr who told me that I had a uterine and rectal wall prolapse. Lovely eh? So now waiting for my referral which knowing the NHS will take about 10 years to come through. So in mean time was wondering if anyone else has had either of these and if so how was it fixed? I have been told Ill probably be offered surgery, what does this do and how long will it take to recover? Sorry so long and lots of questions.

TracyK Tue 19-Apr-05 11:27:13

what were your symptoms? I think I've got 'problems' downstairs - not sure if its as serious as a prolapse.

mishka Tue 19-Apr-05 11:31:03

A feeling that there is something sitting and pulling inside you. I also couldn't get tampons to go in properly, and it was painful (sorry if tmi). So after this I had a wee feel and could feel my cervix sitting about an inch inside. As soon as the dr had a look she confirmed that I had a prolapse. If you are having any of these you should see a dr as it can get worse, thats what I was told. hth any really hope you don't have this.

TracyK Tue 19-Apr-05 11:35:33

I think I've just got really weak pelvic floor muscles and have been putting off going to the docs for ages!

grumpyfrumpy Tue 19-Apr-05 11:45:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TracyK Tue 19-Apr-05 11:51:36

Does the gp have to do an internal exam before refering to physio? thats whats putting me off really.
do the cone things work?

grumpyfrumpy Tue 19-Apr-05 11:53:43

serenity Tue 19-Apr-05 12:30:52

mishka I have a similar problem except mine is bladder and rectal, but I'm a bit further along the system I think!

OK, I first mentioned that I felt things weren't right after I had DD at my 6 week check - that was December 2003. We agreed that I'd go and do my pelvic floors and we'd monitor the situation. By early summer I was sure that it wasn't going to improve (I'd been warned I might end up needing surgery after DS1 5 years earlier) I went back to my GP who referred me to the Gynie consultant at my local hospital. I saw him in August iirc Now, because I have a prolapse of the bladder wall I had to go and have some rather lovely stress incontinence tests before I could go on the surgery waiting list. Got that appointment last november and I've been on the surgery list ever since.

In my area I've been told there is an 8/9 month waiting list, so I'm hoping to go in at the end of the summer holidays.

I've got very mixed feelings about the whole thing tbh. I'm scared of the surgery, and of being in hospital but at the same time I need this sorted out. It's started to impact on my life more and more, and I want everything back where it should be!

Recovery time? From what I can gather, between 3to 7 days in hospital, another week of feeling pretty crap and uncomfortable and then over the next couple of weeks you get back to normal. No driving or work for six weeks. No heavy house stuff either. BF couldn't hoover for 3 weeks as it was too uncomfortable, and she just have her bladder lifted.

HTH and isn't too scary!

mishka Tue 19-Apr-05 14:56:01

Thank you for all your replys, I can't believe how long it has taken you serenity to get to this stage and your still waiting for surgery!! I didn't realise that you would be out of action for that length of time after the op. But I suppose at the end of the day it will be worth it. I just want to feel normal again and be able to have a full relationship with my partner. Judging by what you have just told me it won't be happening for nearly a year!! Don't know how going to cope with that. They certainly don't mention that this can happen at antenatal class. Thanks you very much for telling me about your situation. xx

psychomum5 Tue 19-Apr-05 15:10:00

Sorry to jump in but this sounds so much like me, and yet I am too terrified to go to the doctors as yet. How bad are the checks n tests. I realise that after having been thro childbirth 5 times I should have no fear on that score yet I am actually worse, if that makes any sense

grumpyfrumpy Tue 19-Apr-05 15:27:07

grumpyfrumpy Tue 19-Apr-05 15:28:04

noddyholder Tue 19-Apr-05 15:30:27

When I had my last smear the doctor said I had a bit of prolapse I know what it is as I can feel cervix inside (EEK)but it doesn't bother me too much I just would like to ask what can they do about it surgically and do you think the cones would work for me?Also where do you get them/it?!

TracyK Tue 19-Apr-05 15:34:45

I think its worse to have an internal by your gp as you see him for routine things during the course of the year and is a bit more embarrasing. At least in hospital/physio - the chances of you ever having to see them again is slim.
My mum had a really quick and easy op (keyhole day surgery) where they thread some kind of sling under your bits and haul them up. She only had pee pee probs - so rectal may make it more difficult??

PsychoFlame Tue 19-Apr-05 15:38:47

Still working up the courage....

Psycho

mishka Tue 19-Apr-05 16:24:05

The initial check wasn't bad at all, I saw a dr that I don't normally go to so it would't embarras me. I do know how you feel psycho, I think what scared me more was having it confirmed that I did have a prolapse as I knew that this would mean the start of lots of tests and dr's.

PsychoFlame Tue 19-Apr-05 16:29:39

See....thats why I too scared really....the confirmation/ Along with the thought that it will most likely mean an op, seeing as I have been those doing bloody pelvic floor exercizes (can never spell that bloody word), for more than two years with no noticable difference to me!!!!

serenity Tue 19-Apr-05 17:29:35

TMI ALERT!!!!

First test by the gynie involved him examining the offending prolapses quite intimately. At one stage I had what felt like a hand up each way It wasn't painful, just uncomfortable and far far too intimate. I went home and showered and then cried all over Dh (felt very stupid for doing so too)

Stress incontinence test was in two parts. First involved having a catheter inserted and also a rectal pressure monitor. They filled me up with water until I felt full and then made me stand up, cough etc to see if I leaked (which I don't, they knew I didn't but had to do it anyway ) I then had to wee it all out and it's really cold because it's not been in there long enough to warm up.

Second part, they refill you (no rectal bit this time thank god!) and then have a little motorised thingy that pulls the catheter in and out whilst they are measuring something.

It's not painful as such although having a catheter put in is not great, it's just very undignified. I'm just glad I don't have to do it again.

I would stress that getting the ball rolling whilst it's annoying rather than desperate is a good idea. You do have a bit of a wait, and if they recommend surgery it won't be getting better on its own. I'd rather go through this and get it sorted than spend the next 50/60 years like this or worse.

Sorry if I've grossed anyone out.

mishka Tue 19-Apr-05 20:21:41

OMG I hope that they don't put anything up my bum!! I can handle any investigations done down there now thanks to having a child where all your dignity goes shooting out the window. But the other end thats a different story.
I would agree that if you think you have a problem get it checked asap, my lo is 15 weeks so didn't wait too long, I thought that maybe it was all normal at first, (first time mum, still naive)
Thank you for being so open about what is and has been happening to you with regards to the tests serenity I do appreciate it lots.

serenity Tue 19-Apr-05 20:47:42

keep remembering things! I was told that they won't take the surgical option until you have finished your family, as another pregnancy would just undo it all. The procedure is harder to have and recover from if it's a repeat performance iyswim. That's why although they told me after DS1 I would need surgery, it hasn't been seriously investigated until now (DD is my third and last)

mishka Wed 20-Apr-05 09:08:55

I thought that that would be the case, which makes it difficult to decide what to do. As it stands it is very unlikely that I would get pg again because of whats happening down there I can't do anything that would make me pg. I can't imagine that the physio would help things so well that I could do it again. Which makes me think that surgery would be the only option even if we did decide to have more babies in the future. I couldn't imagine being the way I am for a couple of years. Having another baby sooner rather than later isn't an option as our daughter was a surprise so financially we are strapped. What a mess it all is.

mishka Wed 20-Apr-05 20:11:07

dizzydo Thu 21-Apr-05 08:32:08

There is some more info on this prob further down the Health page entitled "pelvic floor gone all to pot". Sorry don't know how to do a link.

Good luck all!

serenity Tue 26-Apr-05 10:57:56

I've had my date through for my operation - 31st May.

I thought I'd be quite calm about it, but I've spent the last hour crying down the phone to Dh and my Mum

I guess I am more nervous than I thought. I am such a wimp, but I am really scared. I've never been away from the kids for so long, DD still BFs. DH doesn't drive so he's going to be stuck with them all day as it's half term and it is DS2s birthday on the 3/6.

<<sharp slap across the face>> OK, I'm going to stop whingeing now and pull myself together. I want it done FFS!

motherinferior Tue 26-Apr-05 11:22:15

Oh Serenity, sweetheart, I'm sorry you're feeling like this, and I'd feel like that too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: