Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Dh has bad toothache and noone will help. what to do??

(22 Posts)
jnbsmum Tue 19-Apr-05 11:02:56

my dh has had bad toothache for 2 days but he's not registered with a dentist. (regeistering friday) he really doesnt want to wait that long as its affecting his sleep' eating etc anybody know what to do

Mothernature Tue 19-Apr-05 11:06:16

Would he not be able to go to the Dr's for prescription pain relief? it could be an absess and therefore would need antibiotics/if not Dr's then got to A & E, before it drives him crazy, at least then he will have something to be going on with before he sees the dentist to register..

jnbsmum Tue 19-Apr-05 11:07:43

would the docters help then??. I thought about them but then i just thought they would say no

Mothernature Tue 19-Apr-05 11:10:14

If he is in pain and cannot get in to the dentist until he has reistered, then the Dr's should prescribe him pain killers suitable for his problem I am sure they would not leave him in agony because he's not yet registered with the dentist.

jnbsmum Tue 19-Apr-05 11:11:31

just tried them and they said no
Now im just so angry noone will help. will try a&e instead

Mothernature Tue 19-Apr-05 11:19:57

Can you not get in contact with an emergncy dentist then?

Expectantmum Tue 19-Apr-05 11:20:32

If you get local freebie papers there should be a section in there for emergency/night time dentists, you can ring them and go along, my DP did that when he had an abcess, even though he wasn't registered with them and all he had to pay for was the price of the prescription for the anti-biotics.

jnbsmum Tue 19-Apr-05 11:22:48

The only thing we can do is wait till 6pm and ring a number. No help anywhere else

Mothernature Tue 19-Apr-05 11:24:45

Get down to your local chemist and speak to them they should be able to prescribe something until he has seen the dentist, no one should have to suffer with toothache.

acnebride Tue 19-Apr-05 11:47:37

Don't know your opinion of them but try nhs direct on 0845 4647, they should be able to give you a contact number to try. Hope you have some luck. Really tough on your dh.

jnbsmum Tue 19-Apr-05 17:24:37

been trying every option all day. Chemist managed to give me soem painkillers for him and he's now getting some much needed rest. I'm so cause nobody will see him. Tried nhs direct and they where no help too. I normally use them for other things but they where really crap today

noddyholder Tue 19-Apr-05 17:26:45

Go to a&e they will give him strong painkillers and antibiotics but you may have to go at night as dentists are open in the day I did this once about a yr ago and they were really helpful Have you rung every local one?

ambrosia Tue 19-Apr-05 17:28:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jnbsmum Tue 19-Apr-05 17:31:27

We're trying an out of hours no later. It starts at 6 so hopefully they will help. Tried every local one in about a 4 mile radius (my phone bill will be shocking) each one said unless we where registered they couldnt help. Half of them gave us the out of hours number. I tried the docters and they said no because they didnt deal with teeth. I even tried a&e earlier and they also said no. Everbody said that unless it was bleeding then they wouldnt help. I'm really angry cause in the 9 yrs ive been with dh ive never seen him literally cry in pain. Its awful

ambrosia Tue 19-Apr-05 19:27:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jabberwocky Tue 19-Apr-05 19:29:23

This may not be strong enough, but oil of cloves is good for numbing.

compo Tue 19-Apr-05 19:31:09

Can't you just book an appointment with dh's gp - you don't need to tell the receptionist anything, and when you get there the docotr will most likely take pity and give your dh strong painkillers. In the meantime whisky will numb the pain

Aragon Tue 19-Apr-05 19:58:54

In Somerset we have an emergency dental helpline. Try NHS Direct - they may be able to tell you if you have a similar service locally. They'll also be able to refer you to a doctor or A+E for pain relief. As far as I know - most private dentists will see someone as an emergency - you may find it'll cost though - expect £40-£60 for the consultation and any emergency work to relieve the cause of the pain.

binkybetsy Tue 19-Apr-05 20:04:52

Ring NHS direct and they can advise you further, maybe they will get you into a late night clinic where an on call GP will give a sciptt for painkillers etc, if necessary. If they think you need to go to A&E then by all means go, but please check with them first.

jasper Wed 20-Apr-05 00:05:37

I am in despair at the NHS.
Did your dh get some help?

Ambrosia I am shocked your dentist friend gets away with that . I presume she is not in the NHS because I think she would be in breach of her contract.

jnbsmum Wed 20-Apr-05 06:24:24

Still no help
dh has been awake ALL night. Ive been up since 5 with him. Going to try again this morning. If noone helps then i dont know what he'll do. He's in a right state. No sleep for 2 days

jasper Wed 20-Apr-05 15:23:19

that is atrocious.
Write to your MP
So sorry for your dh.
Are you near Glasgow?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: