Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

has your period changed since you had a baby?

(17 Posts)
lunarx Mon 18-Apr-05 20:16:17

since i had ds (june 2004), my periods which started again in october 2004, have been significantly worse than they were pre-pregnancy. (TMI warning!) i've been bleeding *a lot* more than i ever did and i have near-cripling cramps from day one thru the end. i thought this might be normal post-baby so i've let it go, but i'm close to seeing my GP about it..

i'm wondering if other women out there have experienced drastic changes in/to their cycles since having babies?

wordsmith Mon 18-Apr-05 20:19:40

I would see your doc about it Lunarx. Things can change after a baby. My periods became regular after being very irregular pre-conception, and I started to get PMT for the first time ever. But no real change in the pain. But perhaps your doc can help with pain releif and just check you out and put your mind at rest.

AnnieQ Mon 18-Apr-05 20:20:20

Yes. For the first few months they were very, very heavy, worryingly so. I used to have to use 2, sometimes 3, night-time pads even during the day, and even then I would flood them. They began to settle down after about 7 or 8 months, and although they are still heavy they're nowhere near as bad, and the cramping isn't as painful.

I'm also regular as clockwork, which I never was before.

Pruni Mon 18-Apr-05 20:20:45

Message withdrawn

PrettyCandles Mon 18-Apr-05 20:22:09

My mum always said that my periods would be less painful after having a baby. She was right (for me), but they were much much heavier. After my first pg my periods were more frequent - sometimes only 3w apart - and so heavy that I leaked each time. I also bled for only 4 days rather than 6-7. But they weren't painful and I didn't get nauseous any more. After my 2nd pg my periods changed again, going back to more like they were before babies. But they were still less painful and generally less unpleasant.

During my first pg I learned that I had a large fibroid that grew to 11cm, and that may have been the cause of the heavy periods. It shrank and 'died' during the next pg, so perhaps that's why the periods aren't so heavy any more.

Certainly you ought to go and see your GP. Just because it's 'natural' is no reason to suffer.

PrettyCandles Mon 18-Apr-05 20:23:21

BTW, I swear by Feminax - it's the best pregnancy pain-relief/bloating relief I have ever found. But you can't take it while breastfeeding.

lunarx Mon 18-Apr-05 20:25:14

i take as many Feminax as i can daily when i've got my period, PrettyCandles..:sighs: think i need to call the GP tomorrow

thanks ladies...for tonight, its a night of relaxing and hopefully dh cooking some dinner!

ambrosia Mon 18-Apr-05 20:25:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pruni Mon 18-Apr-05 20:26:39

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Mon 18-Apr-05 20:31:15

Message withdrawn

ambrosia Mon 18-Apr-05 20:36:32

Aimsmum Mon 18-Apr-05 21:07:26

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Mon 18-Apr-05 21:09:18

Not read other posts yet but yes, mine have become much heavier. Used to use 'normal' tampax but now use super, super ones. Has been more like this after ds3 actually.

ambrosia Mon 18-Apr-05 21:11:10

boaky Mon 18-Apr-05 21:14:01

hate to sound smug but mine have changed for the better....used to have a nightmare of a time and now no where near as bad but nobody told me this could happen and i began to think i may be going through an early menopause at 36!!!! Extra strong nurofen was my cure and not eating alot worked for me

Mosschops30 Mon 18-Apr-05 21:22:41

Message withdrawn

Dior Mon 18-Apr-05 21:24:50

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: