Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it possible to develop an alcohol intolerance?

(29 Posts)
trefusis Mon 18-Apr-05 19:02:56

Message withdrawn

victoriapeckham Mon 18-Apr-05 19:15:04

How old are you? Body breaks down alcohol less well with age and women are far less equipped to break it down than men - we have a missing enzyme, i remember reading. Basically we are designed for moderation, as we get older. Alas.

These days I can t drink more than 2 glasses without feeling ghastly the next day.

trefusis Mon 18-Apr-05 19:28:29

Message withdrawn

ambrosia Mon 18-Apr-05 20:05:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trefusis Mon 18-Apr-05 20:08:26

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Mon 18-Apr-05 20:11:20

Sorry, Trefusis, you've lowered your tolerance to what is after all a poison. And even though you can raise it, it'll still make you feel worse than it did when in younger days. Take it from me - I used to be able to drink and drink and DRINK. Now I can still drink, but boy do I feel awful the next day.

The only way to see a positive, I find, is to buy some Very Nice Wine and have that in small quantities. And, sadly, try to avoid drinking in the week.

My slippers are very comfortable

Surfermum Mon 18-Apr-05 20:15:25

Hi Trefusis. This happened to me. I went through a period of not being able to tolerate alcohol at all and I didn't drink for 8 years. I found that if I had a glass or two of wine I would have the most awful hangover the next day - as if I'd drunk 3 bottles - and feel sick and have gastritis. I had endoscopies and other investigations and they all came back completely normal. The only thing we could pinpoint to my symptoms was alcohol, so my GP suggested I gave it up for a month to see what happened. If I didn't drink I was fine. I'd got to the stage where I didn't want to drink anyway because of how I felt the next day. It was so bad that if I was given food with alcohol in - I can remember a friend making a chocolate mousse with cointreau in - it would have the same effect.

So, for 8 years my ex dp had a chauffeur for nights out and not a drop passed my lips. I hadn't been a major drinker either - the usual student/early twenties stuff. I was then on holiday with a group of friends and one night we got back from the pub and they were drinking port. Someone poured me a glass and egged me on to drink it, which I did! The next day I had NO HANGOVER. So that night I tried again - just one drink, and again NO HANGOVER. So that was it really, Surfermum off the wagon. I was cheap to take out for a while, 2 bacardi breezers and I was dancing on chairs, but my tolerance built up again and now I'm back to "normal" drinking.

I'm 43 BTW.

motherinferior Mon 18-Apr-05 20:16:09

Oh yes, forgot to say, I'm 41.

serenity Mon 18-Apr-05 20:27:58

Before my Mum got married she worked in the city. She used to go out every lunchtime drinking, and could put a fair bit away by all accounts. Then she had me.....first time she tried drinking she got shooting pains down her arms, her chest got tight and her heart start started to race. That was it, she refused to drink again (much to my Dads disgust)

Now, I always thought that this was just mums excuse not to drink, my dad has a drinking problem so I could understand it, but then I had DS1. I now have the same problem. If I drink anything alcoholic on an empty stomach I end up with exactly the same symptoms - it can be really scarey, and is very very painful sometimes. The only thing I can assume is that something with the pregnancy has affected my tolerance of alcohol (and tea with DD )

It's nice in a twisted kind of way to know that me and my Mum aren't the only weirdos out there!

serenity Mon 18-Apr-05 20:29:07

Oh yeah, Mum was 20 when it happened and I was 25! Not old at all!

trefusis Mon 18-Apr-05 20:31:14

Message withdrawn

trefusis Mon 18-Apr-05 20:33:13

Message withdrawn

serenity Mon 18-Apr-05 20:36:58

{blush] I didn't give it up I just drink through it or eat loads first

I don't get many opportunities, but I'm not missing out just 'cos of a bit of agonising pain

trefusis Mon 18-Apr-05 20:39:33

Message withdrawn

trefusis Mon 18-Apr-05 20:42:34

Message withdrawn

bobbybob Mon 18-Apr-05 20:43:39

Could be an intolerance to salicylates rather than alcohol. Try beer.

oatcake Mon 18-Apr-05 20:44:06

Yep, two glasses on a night out is ample... so I'm always the designated driver because it's just not worth getting an expensive taxi home for the sake of 2 glasses of wine... (spend the night drinking non-alcoholic lager)

has anyone had any success changing their tipple?

motherinferior Mon 18-Apr-05 20:44:29

Yes, perhaps wide-ranging research is called for.

WideWebWitch Mon 18-Apr-05 20:47:10

Skinny bum I think. Oooh, but not being able to drink at all? Ooh, fat bum I think. Ah so that's why I've got a fat bum! <light dawns!>

trefusis Mon 18-Apr-05 20:48:23

Message withdrawn

trefusis Mon 18-Apr-05 20:51:07

Message withdrawn

Chandra Mon 18-Apr-05 20:52:41

Appologies in advance as I have not read the full thread, I would think it could be an intolerance if you are developing symptoms of allergy (diarrea, rashes, spots, etc) but if it only feels like too big hangover considering the small amount you drank, and how little you have been drinking lately, I'm more inclined to suggest that you are only a bit out of practice.

It happens to me as well, I used to be the queen of the tequila shot -could have five in a row without feeling any diference, now with only one I can fall asleep on the table, but it improves while on holidays, and on busy social times.

However I'm only talking out of my personal experience so please ignore me if I'm talking rusbish

serenity Mon 18-Apr-05 21:01:25

I do have a well cushioned rear, helps keep me comfortable when I'm on here

Cider would be similar to beer wouldn't it? So salicylates probably aren't my problem as I've had it with cider, red wine, and alcopop type things. The only thing I've never had a problem with is Baileys, but that's because I drink it with milk and ice (and a thousand people go eeewwwwww )

Trefusis, I think you just need to experiment a bit. Go for a few meals out to find the right lining, and then work your way through the bar......

If you're lucky it'll be haute cuisine and champagne, if not, kebabs and half a fosters

FIMAC1 Mon 18-Apr-05 21:03:58

I had the same effects for a period - literally one drink and the next day I felt like I had been on a Major Drinking session - all the symptoms of a major hangover! Saw a Kneisologist who said that cause I was very stressed at the time my liver was struggling to cope (that is where the stress was showing itself - sounded very strange but decided to have some Acupuncture and was able to drink again - she picked up the stress in the liver too - hadn't mentioned it to the therapist - also Reflexolgy works in the same way if you don't like needles!

Surfermum Mon 18-Apr-05 21:37:42

Fat bum for me please!

My ex dp wasn't too pleased when I started drinking again. Told me I was embarrassing. I asked my friends' opinion and they told me I was more Surfermum than I had been for years. It was the final nail in the coffin really.

I really don't know how I managed without it for 8 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now