Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Suffering from PMT ... never used to before .... advice?

(9 Posts)
ghosty Mon 18-Apr-05 02:28:25

Hello ...
Ever since my periods came back when DD was 7 months old I have suffered from pretty severe PMT and it is stressing both me and DH out.
I never used to have PMT at all (in fact, I am ashamed to say that I used to think people used it as a bit of an excuse ) ... although I did suffer from major period pains before I had children.
After DS (5 years ago) the period pains lessened and I started to have quite a lot of mid cycle pain instead ... ovulation pains I guess, very strong and uncomfortable for a couple of days to the point that I was sure I could tell which side I was ovulating from.
Anyway, DD is now 14 months old and for 7 months I have had 3 days of painful ovulation pain (not just an ache, but real pain) and for the last 4 months I have been the worst person to live with a couple of days before my period and for the first two days of my period. Periods haven't been painful but very heavy.
I have been so emotional the last couple of days (DS parents evening didn't go that well and I keep being upset about it) and yesterday I was in such a mood driving back from a day out that I wasn't concentrating and pranged my car (with kids in the back ) ... no one hurt but some good amount of damage to our new car
DH has had enough of me, and TBH so have I had enough of me!
Has anyone had this happen after children? What, if anything, can I do?

Hausfrau Mon 18-Apr-05 08:54:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Socci Mon 18-Apr-05 08:57:28

Message withdrawn

basketcase Mon 18-Apr-05 09:04:21

I never suffered from PMT until after my second child and now I notice a real emotional swing during the month. It is so hard battling against it as I annoy myself as much as I annoy anyone else. I always wondered if it were an age thing rather than linked with pregnancy but maybe there is some link with post pregnancy?
Sorry about the car ghosty. At least it was only the car you bumped rather than a person. If you are experiencing a lot of pain as well as the emotional stuff, perhaps worth a GP visit for advice and checking?

basketcase Mon 18-Apr-05 09:06:12

socci - re the work thing. I work from home flexi time for DH’s business and we have now agreed that the day before my period is a no work zone as I was making him stressed just being in the room swearing at the computer

foxinsocks Mon 18-Apr-05 09:20:57

ghosty, I had never suffered from PMT until the beginning of this year (around 3 years after the birth of my last child).

Like you, I never really believed PMT was that bad. I can now tell when I'm ovulating (around half way through my cycle I get the ovulation pain), then I get very painful breasts and I get extremely irritable, anxious and have terrible mood swings. It's like I become a completely different person. I had a reaction to the mirena coil at the beginning of the year (to the progesterone substance that's in it). I've been researching PMT and gynaes now think that some people who get PMT are those who have a sensitivity to progesterone. I have no idea why I've suddenly developed this (maybe it's just age) but the painful breasts, spots and mood swings all fit the bill.

There are some supplements you can take to try and alleviate some of the symptoms - if you research them a bit to see what you think would fit you (magnesium, agnus castrus, vit b6 are a few of the ones).

You can go to the GP apparently as well (I haven't been). Some doctors apparently prescribe mild anitdepressants for it because some experts now think that the mood side of PMT can be triggered by a lack of serotonin in the brain.

I have much sympathy with you because it's a horrible thing to suddenly suffer from.

pinkmama Mon 18-Apr-05 09:21:30

Ghosty, I do sympathise. I have always suffered from PMS but it has got increasingly worse since having kids. I am currently pg with no 3 and quite concerned about how much worse I might get this time. I get very angry, insecure, paranoid, and it gets to point where I can barely go out the house or speak to anyone. It lasts about a week in total. It usually ends with a 2 day migraine. I find the pill makes it worse, have tried magnesium which I think took the edge of it. SOmeone has recommended trying essential fatty acids, so might give that a go after the baby. I hate to admit it, but excerise helps enourmously. I am so lazy that it upsets me to admit it, but I can manage my moods much better if I go for a run everyday during the worst period. Diet is also supposed to play a role, although when I worked out what I would have to do without (sugar, alcohol) I figured being miserable for one week a month was better than being miserable for all of it! . There is a place called the womens nutritional service (i think) who have published a book on PMS and there are some useful web sites. I will have a look and see if I can find them.

foxinsocks Mon 18-Apr-05 09:28:13

Here's the website for the PMS association. There's some really good info on here.

national association for premenstrual syndrome

ghosty Mon 18-Apr-05 10:57:23

Thanks everyone ... I am relieved to hear that I am not the only one to have this sudden change.
Funnily enough, I do take lots of supplements as it is what I do for a business (nutritional supps) but I don't take extra magnesium (on top of the multi vit/minerals that I already take) ... so perhaps I had better look it up ...
Car went in to repairs today ... going to cost a fortune (thank god for insurance!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now