Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY THROAT

(16 Posts)
tiffini Sat 16-Apr-05 20:57:44

i have had a very bad sore throat for about a week now, my glands are up on my neck, but my tonsils look fine, they are not swollen or speckled white.
i am in a lot of pain and have tried everything, but nothing is helping at all. the pain is so bad it has reduced me to tears quite a few times.
And to top it all i still have my appetite, but cant eat a thing, i have been forcing down yoghurts mainly but it hurts like hell and i am so so hungry.

Tipex Sat 16-Apr-05 21:01:12

tiffini, may be pharyngitis not tonsilitis, hurts like hell. have you tried normal painkillers, paracetamol and ibuprofen? can take both together. Also may be worth getting a spray from the chemist to numb it, just dont spray on tongue by accident as it feels really weird! hope you get better soon.

tiffini Sat 16-Apr-05 21:03:51

have tried everything you have suggested Tipex, only light relief fron paracetomol and iburrofen together. nothing else helps at all.

Dior Sat 16-Apr-05 21:07:37

Message withdrawn

tiffini Sat 16-Apr-05 21:11:19

Thanks Dior, have tried the throat spray but didi nothing, think i had better go and see GP.

pootlepod Sat 16-Apr-05 21:17:09

I have felt lousy for almost 3 weeks, including a sore throat. Have you tried honey (straight off the teaspoon) or a lemon and honey drink. I found chamomolie tea soothing too.

I would get to the doctor as well, just to be sure.

Socci Sat 16-Apr-05 21:18:15

Message withdrawn

tiffini Sat 16-Apr-05 21:22:46

Funny you should say that socci, a friend of mine claimed to have mumps last week, not sure if i have had it, i will ask my mum, i say she claimed to have mumps because she suffers from attention deficit disorder.
Pootlepod on my my to try the honey and lemon. thanks for the suggestion.

KBear Sat 16-Apr-05 21:23:53

I have had a couple of very bad throat infections (viral the gp said so no antibiotics) and it was the worst pain I've experienced next to labour! I sympathise entirely and remember crying secretly too with pain! Gargle with salt water (1 tsp salt, dilute with an inch of boiling water in a mug, top up with cold water). I found that helped. feel for you.

tiffini Sat 16-Apr-05 21:26:10

Thanks KBear, will try that one too.

Tiggiwinkle Sat 16-Apr-05 21:28:52

tiffini
I had my tonsils out as an adult-very painful! I was told at the time to gargle wtih soluble aspirin before swallowing it as normal-it acts as a local anaesthetic. I have always used it since for a sore throat and it really does work very well.
Hope you feel better soon.

tiffini Sat 16-Apr-05 21:31:13

Tiggywinkle, what soluble asprin do you use?

Tiggiwinkle Sat 16-Apr-05 21:36:36

tiffini-it doesn't matter which brand
you use-a generic (unbranded) one will do.(Just ask at the chemist for soluble aspirin). Just dilute with water according to the usual instructions and gargle as it goes down.

tiffini Sat 16-Apr-05 21:38:29

Cheers

pootlepod Sat 16-Apr-05 22:18:08

Or another thing to gargle with is diluted TCP! Something's bound to work!

suedonim Sun 17-Apr-05 14:19:50

Tiffini, if you're in so much pain it's worth getting checked out by a Dr. You may have a bacterial infection for which you'll need antib's. I had such a throat last year and was in absolute agony.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now