Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraception linked to loss of libido, and how reliable are condoms?

(15 Posts)
blooper Sat 16-Apr-05 19:40:49

Over the past few months I've been insatiable, I've permanently been in the mood for sex. I've been feeling how I did during my pregnancy. That was 10 years ago and I literally HAD to have sex at least twice a day! Ever since I was 16 I've either been on the pill or depo injections. For the last few months I haven't had the depo injections but I had it again 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden I've stopped being in a permanent state of randiness. The 2 times in my life when I've had a really high sex drive are the only 2 times in my adult life that I haven't been on the pill/depo. It never occured to me before that my high sex drive during my pregnancy was related to not being on the pill but my recent return of having a very high sex drive while not have the depo has convinced me that they are related. Has anone else found this?

So, next question - are condoms alone a very reliable form of contraception? Obviously you hear of them breaking but with propper usage is this likely to happen? Has anyone here become pregnant while using condoms alone? Is breakage of condoms during intercourse a common occurance?

sallyenglebertstrawberry Sat 16-Apr-05 19:59:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stitch Sat 16-Apr-05 20:07:34

when used properly condoms are supposed to be 97% effective.
depends on your own and your partners fertility really.

Dominoes Sat 16-Apr-05 20:37:47

Depo killed off my libido - think thats how it worked as a contraceptive in my case . No problems so far with condoms

Dior Sat 16-Apr-05 20:39:54

Message withdrawn

trefusis Sat 16-Apr-05 20:50:05

Message withdrawn

Flossam Sat 16-Apr-05 21:33:09

We've been using them since DS was born, am awful at taking tablets, and as BF would have to have the mini pill so not a hope in hell of that working. I don't mind them anymore, but DP hates them. It used to be the other way round, but I really don't want to have another just yet. I plan to give the persona a try when I finish BF. Not heard wonderful things about it, but figure it might come in useful if we were to ttc in the future.

PS never had a condom break, think it is relatively uncommon, and if happens can take morning after pill.

Trinab75 Sat 16-Apr-05 21:43:40

I had the same problem whilst I was on depo prevara, and after researching the side affects of this drug, I was horrified to find, it is the same drug which was (dont know if still is) given to sex offenders to decrease the chances of them re offending.

And is labelled 'chemical castration', I was livid when I read this, no wonder you loose your libido.

We used condom's for quite while after reading this and had no probs with breakage ETC, I guess practice makes perfect

blooper Sat 16-Apr-05 22:50:15

Thanks for your replies
I've decided I'm not going to have the depo again! I forgot about the morning after pill. How easy is it to get hold of if a condom does split? (can't imagine being able to get a doctor's appointment in time). Do all chemists stock it now? Do you have to answer lots of personal/embarrassing questions?

Also, while being on the depo (nearly 10 years) I've never had any menstrual symptoms such as pain, bloating, sore boobs etc but I did experience these in the few months that I didn't have the jab. How can I prevent these? Obviously pain killers for the pain, but can I take anything to prevent the bloating etc?

blooper Sun 17-Apr-05 19:22:54

So,any miracle cures for bloating, sore boobs etc related to menstruation?

Flossam Sun 17-Apr-05 19:36:07

Evening primose oil is supposed to help with the boobs I think. As does vitamin B6 i think. You can get tablets to help with water retention which might help. Morning after pills can be brought from the chemists. I think they are very expensive (20 something quid I think), but if you couldn't get to the doctors is an option. You could always get emergency app at doctors for this reason. Think it is a good idea to get off depo, I think there was some research a few years ago linking use longer than 10/12 years with increased risk of oesteoporosis. Good luck with condoms!

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 19:44:04

blooper - ditto in that I find when I'm on the pill, the way it works is that I never feel like it! Off it it's another story! So I went back on it a few months ago after having ds3 but I've come off it again now as it was just crap and we are relying on condoms. Hate them, hate them but don't like the idea of coil or any other hormonal type contraception so dh is having the snip!

Condoms are not that reliable but at least if it splits, which isn't going to be often if at all, you can get the morning after pill.

Friend suggested the cap to me yesterday - anyone any views on that?

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 19:45:51

Re morning after pill - you can get it over the counter now. They do ask you a few questions but you can ask to go in a consulting room rather than do it in the shop!!

happymerryberries Sun 17-Apr-05 19:58:46

Trinad75. The action of female hormones in a male is quite different to their action in a female. Hormonal contraception can cause changes in libido in some women, but not all. Giving female hormones to men makes them all impotent, not the same thing at all.

Trinab75 Sun 17-Apr-05 22:28:41

OK I accept this, although I believe depo causes extensive loss of libido in women also.

To the point where a sex life is non existent or extremely unpleasant, rather than you just not feeling like it.

And there are numerous references to this all over the net,scarily more so than any other contraception, along with other very unpleasant side affects, which are not relevant on this thread.
And for me personally the fact that depo is out of all the choices available the one used as 'chemical castration' for sex offenders, was enough for me to decide to steer clear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now