Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

vomiting after feeds

(6 Posts)
starlover Fri 15-Apr-05 18:10:00

In the last few days DS has started being quite sick after his feeds.
He is 9 weeks old, and breastfed.
This afternoon he had a feed and a rest, then a nappy change, and then lay on his playmat where he projectile vomited loads of very watery liquid all over his tummy!
And that's the weird thing. I don't know why it's so watery. He has just done the same thing after his feed he just had. He finished, and was just laying on my lap when it all came gushing out of his mouth.
He was a bit grizzly beforehand, but started smiling afterwards... so I don't know if it had been bothering him....

He has been sick after feeds before, but it is usually very milky... what he has just drunk.
But as I say, the last few days it has been very very watery.. almost clear sometimes. and quite a lot of it.

any suggestions as to what this could be?
I have been vegetarian for about 10 years, but recently started eating meat again... could it be related to that???

KathH Fri 15-Apr-05 18:52:32

my ds has reflux and he did watery sick. i was told its when the acid shoots up and it kind of pushes whatever saliva is in their mouths out - i think hv said its called waterbrash. I'm not saying your ds has reflux as my ds was not only sick a lot but very hard to settle. Oh and sometimes it had like lumpy bits of milk in it as well. (oh the joys!)

Jen84 Fri 15-Apr-05 19:00:44

My son has the very same problem and he seen a paediatrician(sp) and we got told to give him sma staydown. It's been brilliant he still brings up a tiny bit of milk but not nearly as much and he seems much more calm and not in pain. It costs £7 ish and you can buy it in boots and i would definately recommend this. Also my son has reflux and the doctor prescribed gaviscon sachets to add to his bottle and this helped we aslo bought a special wedge pillow for his cot to keep him more upright. Hope this helps if you need to know anything else i'll be pleased to help.

Jen84 Fri 15-Apr-05 19:01:36

oops just noticed you breastfed but the pillow might be a good idea also the gaviscon can be taken by breastfed babies off a spoon.

KathH Sat 16-Apr-05 16:56:17

jen84 - did you know you can get staydown on prescription - its saved us a fortune altho it wasnt till i'd bought a few tins that the chemist told me.

Jen84 Mon 18-Apr-05 11:39:10

I didn't know that thanks for telling me i will be makin an appointment for the doctors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now