Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Triclosan in soaps/anti bacterial products...

(5 Posts)
binker Fri 15-Apr-05 18:04:24

Have just read a piece in tonight's Evening Standard warning about dangers associated with Triclosan in anti bacterial handwashes/soaps/toothpastes and washing up liquid- anyone any ideas ? we have anti bact soap and liquid soap and anti-bact w up liquid - should I switch to ordinary ? I hate the way I'm brainwashed into using these bacteria busting things (am v suseptible to these products as I have had OCD and washing/germs was one of my obsessions). The Triclosan is meant to react with chlorine in the water forming chloroform...

Whizzz Fri 15-Apr-05 18:06:48

There was a smiliar thread s while back. All such products are tested & while large quantities of a particular ingredient may be hazardous - it won't be in the particular formulation. I'm pretty sure that we all won't keel over from the effects of chloroform. I'll have a quick google & see what the info is

mummytosteven Fri 15-Apr-05 18:08:12

from the OCD point of view, never mind any other POV I would say yes, switch to ordinary, as you don't want to be in a situation where you get wound up by anti bact not being available.

(I'm a recovered (well almost) OCD/Handwasher))

binker Fri 15-Apr-05 18:11:19

mummytoseven - yes,you're right. I've been free of OCD (severe symptoms anyway) for about 7 yrs,but still get germ anxieties from time to time - will wean myself of anti-bac I think anyway - hope you are managing !

Whizzz Fri 15-Apr-05 18:18:33

Hmm - another set of conflicting results ranging from this all OK to environmental aspects to good for malaria !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: