Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

OK, So what's the best/least hassle/least side effect form of contraception you have ever used?

(72 Posts)
RnB Fri 15-Apr-05 15:31:40

Message withdrawn

RnB Fri 15-Apr-05 15:34:22

Message withdrawn

ggglimpopo Fri 15-Apr-05 15:34:59

Message withdrawn

huggybear Fri 15-Apr-05 15:37:14

we tried a female comdom once but dh said it was like trying to sh*g a crisp packet - and he should know he works at walkers!

expatinscotland Fri 15-Apr-05 15:39:03

the pill

Dominoes Fri 15-Apr-05 15:40:21

Combined pill was by far the best for me- but can't take that anymore for medical reasons! Definitiely wouldn't have the depo again - think it worked as a contraceptive by lowering my libido

PsychoFlame Fri 15-Apr-05 15:40:43

For me... the Pill... Marvelon has been the best so far (Marvellous Marvelon )... much less PMT, less pain, and less need to throw up (any extra hormones make me very queasy, and this has been the most gentle).

mummylonglegs Fri 15-Apr-05 15:42:46

IUD (coil). It was very painless to have put in and has been totally safe for 2 years now with no hassle whatsoever except for slightly heavier periods.

lou33 Fri 15-Apr-05 15:46:46

sterilisation

Cha Fri 15-Apr-05 15:47:22

Have you ever thought about the cap (AKA diaphragm)? I hated the pill (never felt like having sex, so what was the point?) and have only ever taken it for 3 or 4 months. I used a cap and sometimes condoms from about the age of 18 until dp had a vasectomy last year, nearly 20 years in total (OMG ). You have to get one fitted and it takes a little while to get used to putting it in and taking it out but once you get the hang, it's fine. Basically it had to be fine, because I didn't have another option!
The only drawback was the spermicide (tastes disgusting IYKWIM) so I stopped using it. I am incredibly fertile (got pg immediately both times) and I never conceived with the cap minus spermicide. A doctor actually told me once that he thought it was a case of 'belt and braces' and that there wasn't an awful lot of evidence that the spermicide really worked anyway.
IMO, although the cap is not ideal, it is non chemical, doesn't muck around with your body and you only have to put it in when you want to use it. So why not give it a go?

PsychoFlame Fri 15-Apr-05 15:47:52

Psycho now....for me, I got DH to have the snip. If I want more, a trip to the local sperm bank will be in order

On a serious note, only the combined pill worked for me. At least, it did till I forgot to take it.....got a georgous girlie out of it tho

Wallace Fri 15-Apr-05 21:33:34

PMSL "trying to sh*g a crisp packet - and he should know he works at walkers"

I use the contraceptive patch. One lasts a whole week. You do three weeks, then a patch free week in which you have a period. You don't have to remember to change them tat the same time of day (I think htey are effective for a couple of days over a week in case you forget)

Apart from queasyness at first I have had no side effects.

The only drawback is they can be a wee bit itchy, and visible if you want to wear a bikini.

Blossomhill Fri 15-Apr-05 21:36:34

I would say give the coil a try. I had one for 5 years and it was fine so I'd day that was your best option. I have also tried the cap and that was effective but a bit of a pain as you couldn't have spontaneous sex IYKWIM

Says the girl who had her coil out 2 months ago and doesn't know what to do herself

crystaltips Fri 15-Apr-05 21:40:06

NOw that DH has had the snip ( going for test on Wednesday ) - I haven't had to worry about that sort of thing .... but a PATCH - that sounds great - how reliable is it ??? Never even heard of it ?? Shows how out of touch I am

Mowjo Fri 15-Apr-05 21:41:57

My dp had testicular cancer, which has very few things to recommend it, but one is that contraception isn't now a problem.

Potty1 Fri 15-Apr-05 21:42:38

The snip - absolutely bloody marvellous and surprisingly pain-free (for me anyway )

blueteddy Fri 15-Apr-05 21:43:47

Ditto the snip!

Caligula Fri 15-Apr-05 21:46:31

Diaphragm. Easy, quick, effective and no side effects. And you can get taste-free spermicide, Cha! Unless you tell your partner, he doesn't even know you're wearing it.

The only downside is that if you are prone to urinary tract infections, apparantly it can be bad for them (though I never had that problem). In which case, the dutch cap might be better. Slightly trickier to insert and you have to be much more careful that you've got it in the right place (right over the cervix).

Wallace Fri 15-Apr-05 21:47:28

I think the patch is quite new. I made the GP give it to me, she had never prescibed it before. She said she didn't have any real info on how reliable it is, but it is ^thought to be^ as reliable as the pill (same hormones I htink)

I could never remember to take the pill everyday (hence ds and dd!) but even I can remember to change a patch once a week.

blueteddy Fri 15-Apr-05 21:59:07

My ds1 was a late mini pill & ds2 was conceived while on the combination pill.
I now find the snip & no sex method 100%!!!!!!

Davros Fri 15-Apr-05 23:30:06

the pill

bossykate Fri 15-Apr-05 23:33:03

condoms

MarsLady Fri 15-Apr-05 23:35:15

vasectomy!

Lowri Sat 16-Apr-05 07:25:25

Mirena coil - no periods after a few months and, although I wouldn't ever take the pill because I didn't want to be taking "drugs", I don't mind about the tiny local action of the mirena coil.

Husband loves it, as we used condoms before!

Good luck.

alux Sat 16-Apr-05 07:48:21

Rhythm method plus condoms at that fertile time of the month. (watching everyone's eyebrows go up.) Worked for 8 yrs and I only got pg by choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now