Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A question about Calpol, why does it has the nasty colouring additive E122???

(4 Posts)
Chandra Fri 15-Apr-05 15:20:15

I don't understand, they offer a healthier sugar free alternative and colour it with carmoisine (E122) which is part of the so called dirty dozen and that it's apparently related to nervous and respiratory conditions, like hiperactivity and asthma?

Does Calpol needs to be pink? does it has to be at that cost??? Surely nobody is going to die with a little bit of E122 but if it's not good for children why to use it in the most popular chilcren's medicine???

PsychoFlame Fri 15-Apr-05 15:22:35

Just a chemists own paracetamol suspension is often clear... not sure if its available not on prescription though!! I have always been a bit baffled as to why it needs to be pink...DD has a fit over taking it anyway, so prettyness doesn't help me persuade her, it just means she sees it earlier so can run and hide!!!!

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 15-Apr-05 15:27:50

I got some chemists own the other day on prescription but after having a discussion on here about it, it's not much better. Ibuprofens the same.

edodgy Fri 15-Apr-05 16:16:49

we always use junior disprol soluble tablets u dissolve in a little bit of water and there's no E numbers in it, my daughter (now 2) would never take calpol so this has always worked for us they also do it in a liquid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now