Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please! What can I take to stop terrible sugar cravings and pmt before start of period? Possibly peri menopausal (ie old)

(8 Posts)
TsarChasm Thu 05-Mar-09 11:16:34

I'm starting to notice a pattern here.

I'm getting terrible cravings for cakes and sweet things before the start of my period.

Usually I'm ok - I mean who doesn't like foods like that? But I don't crave it madly like this. It's not doing my weight loss attempts any good at all, and I was doing pretty well.

I'm 44 (knocking on a bit sad) and my periods have gone crazy. Heavy, unpredictable, longhmm Arrgh!

I've never had cravings (and pmt! hide the kitchen knives) like this before though. What could I do or take?

I already exercise (run) btw.

SpringBlossom Thu 05-Mar-09 12:54:09

Have you ever tried homeopathy? This is exactly the kind of problem that I've found homeopathy can really help with. After a miscarriage in Oct I've been seeing a homeopath and she's helped with everything from recurring nightmares to grief and reducing hair loss. I can't recommend it enough. I like the fact they treat you as whole person rather than just a set of symptoms. Might be worth a try if you're not sceptical.

MrsMattie Thu 05-Mar-09 12:56:26

Interesting re: homeopathy. Maybe I should give it a try. I also have ridiculous sugar cravings in the week running up to my period. They are evil - worse than nicotine cravings when I was giving up smoking. My periods have also got longer and heavier in the last couple of years.

I feel your pain, TsarChasm. I have lost a stone since January and have got into a good habit of exercising and eating well, but PMT sabotages it completely sad

choochoochaboogie Thu 05-Mar-09 12:56:57

My PMT cravings are for salty savoury stuff, crisps etc. Might try homeopathy though - is it expensive?

SpringBlossom Thu 05-Mar-09 13:33:36

It's usually about £50 for an initial session then £40 for a follow (these are W London prices, probably cheaper elsewhere). You shouldn't have to see one for a long period of time so not endless on going expense. I am sure there is probably some sort of organisation that oversees them but to be honest I fuond my current lady by googling 'ealing homeopath' and she's been brilliant. In the face of indifference and sometimes unkindness from conventional doctors/medicine she has been such a breath of fresh air. And I really believe she has helped me.

cocolepew Thu 05-Mar-09 13:35:02

Magnesium, Chronium and Fish Oils.

notnowbernard Thu 05-Mar-09 13:35:49

'Yogi' tea (licorice flavour) is naturally sweet and really helps my sugar cravings

TsarChasm Thu 05-Mar-09 18:05:00

Thank you all for the replies.

I certainly wouldn't discount homeopathy. I tried it years ago for dd's eczema when she was a baby.

It wasn't hugely successful but luckily she grew out of it in the end. I think I was looking for a faster remedy than could be expected from alternative medicine though. Probably it requires more of a long term commitment.

I like the 'whole body' approach, so maybe this is the sort of thing that it could help. I'll certainly give it some thought.

SpringBlossom - so sorrysad It sounds as though you've had some difficult things to contend with there. I hope things are better for you now.

Poor MrsMattie. You sound as though you're struggling with this too. I become demonic - a bad tempered cake eating harridan. It's awful; like being possessed. I'm quite a mild mannered controlled sort of person usually. I've no idea what's going on with me.

Chromium rigs a bell but I haven't tried the other things mentioned. Thanks again all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now