Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

11 mo old will not take calpol or any other medicines- always sick!

(10 Posts)
goreousgirl Fri 15-Apr-05 12:49:30

I have tried giving calpol on a spoon and a syringe (into cheek)and all other types (ibuprofen/nurofen etc). Each time he gags and sicks up. Now he refuses to go near a medicine - tightly clasps lips and waves head and arms about. If forced he gags and sicks. I gave him some disprin disolved in water yesterday, and even after that he threw up (not sure if it's related). His temp was 39 last night, and the only way of cooling was with a damp cloth - don't know what I'd have done if it had gone higher. Anyone had this experience?

triceratops Fri 15-Apr-05 12:53:17

I always had to shoot it straight into the back of his mouth so that he choked and then swallowed. It is a bit mean but better than a temperature. The nurse at hospital showed me how to do it. You have to be a bit ruthless. Being sick for a baby is quite normal expecially if they are a bit cross and poorly. They only have to hold it down for 10 mins for it to be effective.

frogs Fri 15-Apr-05 12:57:31

s-u-p-p-o-s-i-t-o-r-i-e-s.

Vile concept, but effective. Ask yr. Dr. though -- think they may not be available over the counter in UK. I always import a batch from France or Germany where they are the first course of action for what we would consider to be a Calpol moment.

fruitful Fri 15-Apr-05 13:17:33

I used to mix it with dd's milk (just a small amount of milk so she'd drink it all). Or stir it into a fromage frais if she was well enough to eat one.

11 months is probably old enough to bribe with chocolate buttons too .

SkiBunnyFlummy Fri 15-Apr-05 13:21:39

yeah, i put it in the milk too

goreousgirl Fri 15-Apr-05 13:45:13

Milk is a good idea - hadn't thought of that - will be surprised if he doen't cotton on though!

I'll give it a go - thanks

Prufrock Fri 15-Apr-05 15:09:16

Suppositories. You can get them otc, but call the chemist first as many don't keep them in stock.
But I have to say that I don't bother using medicine for any but the highest temperatures any more, kids can cope with far higher temps than we can, and the temperature is the bodies way of fighting off whatever is causing the illness, not an illness in itself. (I do make an exception for snotty temps at bedtime though - tehn teh medised comes out)

happymerryberries Fri 15-Apr-05 15:13:33

If he will eat fromage frais mix it in with that. I have checked with the manufacturers of Calpol and it is quite OK as long as you mix it in and use it within half and hour

koalabear Fri 15-Apr-05 15:14:43

we mix nuerofen with a little bit of pureed fruit / yoghurt - just a couple of teaspoons - he LOVES IT - especially if i put him in his highchair and he thinks he's getting pudding

doesn't work with calpol though - he just spits that out

can also swear by the suppositories - when my DS was very ill with high fever, they were easy (not as bad as you think), and very fast acting

ggglimpopo Fri 15-Apr-05 15:16:03

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now