Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken pox symptoms please

(6 Posts)
goreousgirl Fri 15-Apr-05 12:21:08

We've just returned from a w/e away with friends. The pg mum has just caught chicken pox from her 2 year old.

My 11 mo old spent lots of time with her, and now has fever, listlessness, strange dilating and undilating pupils and a v v snotty nose. Took him to doctors yesterday, didn't mention chicken pox, but he said no obvious cause - just a cold.

Do you think he may have chicken pox?

Lonelymum Fri 15-Apr-05 12:27:54

Have you looked all over his body for spots (even just one spot is enough)? I think the presence of spots is the key factor and if there are none or none appear today, I don't think it would be chicken pox TBH.

Lonelymum Fri 15-Apr-05 12:31:12

Most likely places for the spots to start are behind the ears, under the arms, or on the trunk, arms and legs. You usually can't miss them!

Toothache Fri 15-Apr-05 12:32:14

Goreousgirl - If it is Chicken Pox the spots appear 11-20 days after exposure. The symptoms you describe do sound like Chicken Pox and if so the spots will appear a few days after those symptoms. My ds has them just now, the spots are just scabbing over.... lovely!!

He had an unexplained fever and a bit of a cold (we thought!) then about 10 days later the spots appeared!

Better he gets it now than when he's older IMO.

Lonelymum Fri 15-Apr-05 12:35:13

Also, it takes 11-20 days to incubate the virus so your ds wouldn't have causght it from your friend if that is the only time he has seen her lately. this link may tell you more.

goreousgirl Fri 15-Apr-05 12:41:52

Thanks everyone - all v helpful - the NHS link is great LM - and TA that's exactly what I thought - thanks.

My poor poor pg friend at 10 weeks pg - fingers crossed for her...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now