Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Broken foot bone in 3 year old? Should there be swelling?

(15 Posts)
PfftTheMagicDragon Mon 02-Mar-09 08:23:54

A paving slab fell on top of DS's foot yesterday, onto the top middle of his foot. This morning he is still limping and when I press the injury area it hurts and he in uncomfortable. However there is no real swelling and only slight bruising (really slight).

I did umm and ahh about taking him in yesterday but thought I would wait and see how he was today but I a no more certain. It's not easy to get the the hospital but if needs be DH can come home.

Is it true that a break would always have swelling and discolouration? Would any harm be caused by waiting a day or two? I wouldn't want to cause more damage by doing so. He is walking but limping and on the side of his foot, IYSWIM?

SoupDragon Mon 02-Mar-09 08:25:10

I think there can be no extrior sign of a break. also, isn't the top of the foot a lots of little bones? I'd take him for a n XRay if it were me.

rubyslippers Mon 02-Mar-09 08:26:00

get him to A & E now

i can't believe you have waited TBH

he needs to get x-rayed to check what has actually happened

it may not be a break but soft tissue damage can be painful and needs to be treated

rubyslippers Mon 02-Mar-09 08:26:33

my step MIL broke a metatarsal and there was minimal swelling

belgo Mon 02-Mar-09 08:27:07

agree totally with rubyslippers.

(btw, how are you rubyslippers? )

Dozymare Mon 02-Mar-09 08:28:00

My DS aged 5 did this last summer. He was looking for creepy crawlies under rocks with his friend, and dropped it on his foot/big toe He cried for about 20 mins, I gave him some calpol and he seemed ok. He was also sort of limping/hopping. Took him to the dr the following day who sent me straight to A+E for an xray - he had broken his big toe!!!!

It wasn't really swollen or bruised at first (Although the toenail went black and fell of later).

I would say get an X-ray!

rubyslippers Mon 02-Mar-09 08:28:33

thanks for remembering Belgo - was a DVT and am at home with leg elevated feeling a tad miserable

SoupDragon Mon 02-Mar-09 08:28:47

Oh, I would have waited til today to see if he was in no great pain.

belgo Mon 02-Mar-09 08:30:10

(it was a DVT?! And they originally diagnosed cellulitis? get well soon!)

Sorry for the hijack but this has been on my mind all week.

rubyslippers Mon 02-Mar-09 08:32:11

<<yes - have found myself a new consultant after this experience>>

belgo Mon 02-Mar-09 08:35:22

(good. I did think the diagnosis of cellulitis was crap inaccurate.

Get well soon.)

PfftTheMagicDragon Mon 02-Mar-09 09:18:22

Thank you all. ruby you are right I should have taken him. I mistakenly thought that there would be swelling and greater pain if there was a break.

I was unsure as it happened at about 5 yesterday afternoon, so close to bedtime and he was not in awful pain.

Thank you all.

rubyslippers Mon 02-Mar-09 09:19:18

hopefully he will be ok

let us know how he gets on smile

PfftTheMagicDragon Mon 02-Mar-09 10:21:41

Well, whilst waiting for Dh to get home to take him, he is outside on a scooter hmm

PfftTheMagicDragon Mon 02-Mar-09 19:43:27

Well thank you all for your help, DS does not have any broken bones, fortunately. He has had an x-ray and everything seems fine. Phew!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now