Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Aluminium-free deoderants - anyone tried them please?

(46 Posts)
CarofromWton Sat 28-Feb-09 21:47:20

I've heard how harmful aluminium can be in antiperspirants/deoderants and I was alarmed to see it top of the list in the ingredients in my roll-on today!

I want to change myself and DD1 (10) to a safe, sensitive deoderant without aluminium. I've done a quick search of the internet but there seem to be several options and I don't know which is best to order.

I would be grateful to hear opinions from anyone who has tried any of these before I part with my pennies.

TIA.

TheButterflyEffect Sat 28-Feb-09 21:51:04

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Sat 28-Feb-09 21:51:27

i don't use them at all

CarofromWton Sat 28-Feb-09 21:53:51

What astra - don't use deos? shock Actually I have been wondering for some time if I really need to use it (I'm not a very sweaty person) but I'm more concerned for my DD who is going through puberty and sometimes needs a little help!

TheButterflyEffect Sat 28-Feb-09 21:55:34

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Sat 28-Feb-09 21:56:24

no i don't

don't think i'm a particularly sweaty person who need them

CarofromWton Sat 28-Feb-09 21:57:18

I too hate sweaty smells - men or women! So are the Lush powders meant to be used for underarms (sorry - never heard of them).

southeastastra Sat 28-Feb-09 22:01:16

oh sorry mis-read your op. blush

TheSonnetts Sat 28-Feb-09 22:02:31

I used the bionsen one which I also found strong smelling.
The pitrok one really does work (I was a bit sceptical) and I use this now.I get it from Boots.

CarofromWton Sat 28-Feb-09 22:06:05

The pitrok one looks good but I'll try the push-up one as sprays sometimes make me cough first thing in the morning!

Slambang Sat 28-Feb-09 22:07:11

I use Pitrok (not sure of spelling - could be PitRoc and it's all the way upstairs...) It is a solid cyrstal roll on. You wet the crystal and use as normal.

Have to admit I gave up on it over the summer as it doesn't do the anti-perspirant bit that I'm used to. I found underarm damp patches a bit embarrassing at work. But have come back to it over winter and it does seem to work. (Mind you - nobody smells bad to themselves, do they? hmm)

Mumfun Sat 28-Feb-09 22:10:05

Have tried several kinds of non aluminium and the Pitrok/other crystal ones are the only ones to work. Been using them for about 3 years now. Really happy with them. They dont work on really really hot summer days for me but those days have been rare recently!

TheSonnetts Sat 28-Feb-09 22:13:11

I haven't had a problem with the pitrok.

I find it really does stop the sweaty smell unlike some deoderants where the fragrance is just attempting to overpower it.

Wasn't that keen on the crystal as I found it a bit dry to roll on.The spray is not aerosol so quite mild.

CarofromWton Sat 28-Feb-09 22:14:10

Thanks everyone - useful info.

I've also heard that the crystal-type ones last a lot longer than normal roll-ons so it's worth spending the extra.

Nontoxic Sat 28-Feb-09 22:18:48

I've tried loads of a-free ones, but have gone back to Mum after several sweaty years as they just don't work - and the Lush one I tried made me positively stinky!

DD (11) uses a Green People one, which she says 'just makes you stink of that - and sweat' and she has a Tisserand one which she says is 'even worse.'

Don't know what the solution is - I really don't want her using the ones with aluminium - but it's just occured to me that Jo Malone's products are all-natural - must have a look-see if she does deos.

pamplemousse Sat 28-Feb-09 22:22:57

I like the Bionsen one, the stick one smells kind of spa like, the spray is a bit strong I agree. I have also tried all sorts of others and have found none that work or that I like.

CarofromWton Sat 28-Feb-09 22:23:52

I'm in the same situation as you Nontoxic - feel really guilty that upto now I've let DD use crappy (possibly harmful) deoderant.

southeastastra Sat 28-Feb-09 22:24:53

i really don't think they're harmful in the short term though and there hasn't been any solid evidence to link cancers to them anyway

Nontoxic Sat 28-Feb-09 22:24:56

No, she doesn't - but I'm now wondering if any other of these 'natural gurus' do them - or somewhere like Neals' Yard or L'Occitane?

TheButterflyEffect Sat 28-Feb-09 22:28:35

Message withdrawn

CarofromWton Sat 28-Feb-09 22:32:14

The more I search the more confusing it gets! Of course we could be worrying for nothing or find out in 30 years time that bicarb is harmful too!

Really appreciate your advice everyone.

Nontoxic Sat 28-Feb-09 22:33:33

Neals' Yard have two on their website, but won't link as I don't know if they work. Think I'll go to the shop tomorrow.
Caro, I feel guilty that DD comes home from school smelling of sweat after she's had games.
And each one of these babies you try and throw in the bin is another £6.00 at least down the drain.

CarofromWton Sat 28-Feb-09 22:45:44

IKWYM Nontoxic - I'm on the point of ordering a couple of those Pitrok push-up sticks which will knock me back a tenner. Ok - a small price to pay for health, but if it doesn't do the job ....

Nontoxic Sat 28-Feb-09 23:01:18

Sorry but they didn't do the job for me - although I did stick with them for a few years - but I got fed up of being sweaty and of having to use them under and between my boobs in summer.
I think it was when I started having another wash before doing the school run that I decided enough was enough.

CarofromWton Sat 28-Feb-09 23:04:41

Fair enough - I think I'll just tell DD not to use deo at all for now and see if she really needs it. In the meantime I'll buy the Pitrok and try it out (suppose it's too late for me though seeing as I've been using the hard stuff for nearly 30 years) grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: