Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe ear ache now ear is weeping - anyone had this?

(14 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Tue 24-Feb-09 12:36:39

Bad ear ache the other night, so bad I called NHS direct but they couldn't do anything for the pain as BFing. Got emergency GP appointment and he said I had pressure & gave me nose drops. Coming back from preschool it felt like my ear was filling with water and it started dripping down my face. It's clear (like water) but smells of ear wax. I can barely hear anything out of that ear and am talking very loudly without realising blush Anyone know what it could be? I am so fed up of the pain

DrNortherner Tue 24-Feb-09 12:37:41

Sounds like your drum has burst.

Tinker Tue 24-Feb-09 12:38:06

Sounds like your eardrum has burst. Very painful but it shoudl ease now. Expect to be a bit deaf for a few days/weeks

LadyOfWaffle Tue 24-Feb-09 12:44:53

Do you know if I am ok to submerge my head in water? (shower gone for a while - have to wash hair in bath) My poor ol' ear drum

Flightattendant27 Tue 24-Feb-09 12:47:14

NO!!! No you need to plug your ear with cotton wool soaked in vaseline before going near water.

You mustn't let water into it. Be really careful I have no idea why but I had a popped eardrum after Christmas and was told this.

MuchLessTiredNow Tue 24-Feb-09 12:48:36

my dd had this - was perforated eardrum. Not nice poor you.

LadyOfWaffle Tue 24-Feb-09 12:56:52

Lord knows what kinda way my hair is going to be washed! I blame my toddler wink It feels like I'm constantly swimming, hope this is the end of it all

Thanks

mortica Tue 24-Feb-09 13:03:18

Definately do not get water in your ear.

Have you had a cold recently. My daughter suffers with her ears really bad, usually flares up after a cold. She suffers with lots of ear infections. She has gromits and a perforated ear drum.

If you get water in your ear you will know about it later. Do what FA27 says, use some cotton wool covered in vaseline to plug the ear but even then dont submerg under water for too long.

Flightattendant27 Tue 24-Feb-09 13:03:41

It'll prob feel weirdy for a few days and leak a bit, then start to ehal - my hearing was a bit impaired for a week or two, but fine now smile

Bath here too, just plug your ear well and try and keep the water off it. Lean your head the other way to rinse iyswim. xx

Flightattendant27 Tue 24-Feb-09 13:05:02

Heal I mean.

I wouldn't submerge at all.

Could you get one of those plastic shower things to attach to taps? We have a mixer.shower thingy which helped.

Mortica - what happens if you get water in it? Do you know? I am curious!

LadyOfWaffle Tue 24-Feb-09 13:15:11

Thanks - I'll get a mixer thingy until the new shower is in. I don't want to wash my brains away grin

mortica Tue 24-Feb-09 13:15:36

It hurts like hell. My daughter screams in agony if she gets water in her ears.

DogMa Tue 24-Feb-09 13:17:53

Blu-tac.....if you haven't got a proper ear plug, use a lump of blu-tac to plug your ear whilst you wash.

Water is the fastest route to an infection and if you get one of those, you're in deep shit.

ps- twas a Dr who gave me the blu-tac tip!

LadyOfWaffle Tue 24-Feb-09 13:30:24

I bought some ear plus at pharmacist yesterday - look like pink candy floss but are wax balls inside you roll into shape. Hopefully they will do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now