Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

slight jaundice in toddler?

(13 Posts)
mummylonglegs Wed 13-Apr-05 10:01:21

Ok, this is probably neurotic, but dd seems to have a slightly yellowish tinge to her skin. I thought I was imagining it but yesterday we met up with 3 seperate people who know us quite well and all of them said she'd got a lovely 'tan'! It could be the results of a bit of sunshine on her face over the weekend but I remember her having jaundice as a newborn and the tint of this is somehow similar. However, it's very very slight.

Do I drag her off to the GP (who will no doubt think I'm nuts) or wait and see what happens?

mummylonglegs Wed 13-Apr-05 14:56:48

No takers?

FIMAC1 Wed 13-Apr-05 15:13:32

Get a Doctors appointment - are her whites of her eyes a normal colour? My ds as a baby had jaundice and they were yellowish too

mummylonglegs Wed 13-Apr-05 16:17:59

No, her eyes look fine. I don't remember them being particularly yellow when she was a baby and had jaundice.

Does anyone know what a bit of jaundice might mean?

tamum Wed 13-Apr-05 16:20:15

I would have thought that if her eyes are a normal colour then it's not likely to be jaundice, but get her checked if you're really worried.

FIMAC1 Wed 13-Apr-05 16:41:47

Best to get her checked out to put your mind at rest

emeraldefmach Wed 13-Apr-05 17:07:10

Check the colour of her urine too.

Flossam Wed 13-Apr-05 21:31:08

Jaundice is usually cause by the liver not functioning properly and is caused by a build up of the waste product billirubin which is normally processed by the liver. In new borns it's because it hasn't started functioning properly yet. MY DS had it and the whites of his eyes weren't yellow. I'd have noticed that, but as it was I was clueless that he had it untill the midwife visited.

I would take her to the GP's, cause although it is most likely nothing, they will be able to tell by looking and blood tests if this is jaundice. In the meantime make sure she drinks properly. Are her stools normal coloured?

mummylonglegs Wed 13-Apr-05 21:42:28

Her urine's a bit dark, not much though, and it often is a bit as she doesn't drink anywhere near enough liquid. Her poo seems ok, a bit pale now and then. It really is so slight the colouring on her skin, I keep thinking I'm imagining it but it is different to normal I'm sure.

FIMAC1 Thu 14-Apr-05 07:03:54

My ds was in SCBU at the time after being born very prem so the eye colour prob could have been something else not the Jaudice (which is what I put it down to)

Flossam Thu 14-Apr-05 10:25:26

Pale stools are another sign of jaundice. Take her to the docs today to get her checked out. Good luck!

mummylonglegs Thu 14-Apr-05 14:41:32

I can't get a GP appointment today but will try to get dp to take her tomorrow.

Anyone else had this or know what it might mean? She can't have a liver problem at 2 1/2 can she?!

Flossam Thu 14-Apr-05 20:09:36

Don't worry about it. There could be all sorts of things or it could be nothing. Take her, get her checked over to be sure, and fingers crossed she just has a lovely tan . Hope it all goes ok. x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: