Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why does my tongue feel like it's on fire??

(22 Posts)
Imawurzel Thu 19-Feb-09 20:00:48

My DD is just getting over croup, don't know if it's relevant, Since monday eve my tongue feels like it's been burnt on front part (like if you can't wait for your tea when it's too hot smile) and on the sides by my teeth, if=t feels like it's got lumps running along it.
I do not have a clue what this is, if it's important, if it's just run down-ness or effects from DD's croup.

My doc's has changed to appt's only so can't go to open surgery.

lockets Thu 19-Feb-09 20:02:55

Message withdrawn

Goober Thu 19-Feb-09 20:03:50

Google Geographic tongue.
I suffer from it and the symptoms you describe sound similar.

Imawurzel Thu 19-Feb-09 20:06:37

anyhting i can take??
never had this before. i sometimes try and move it so it's not touching my teeth. weird. feels like i've got small ulcer type things on the front part too.
Is this anything to do with DD's croup do you know?
Sorry for all the Q's.
grin

BarbaraWoodlouse Thu 19-Feb-09 20:07:17

I had this last year I think. Feels really painfully tingly?

I did go to GP (as I am hypothyroid and scared myself with google and pernicious anaemia symptoms blush) and they weren't terribly helpful. I think they may have said "virus?".

Whatever it was it went away in the end so I assumed it was a virus. I was quite run down at the time too. It's not much fun is it. Get well soon. smile

Goober Thu 19-Feb-09 20:08:45

If it is Geographic tongue there is nothing you can do only avoid the triggers and sit it out.

Imawurzel Thu 19-Feb-09 20:10:50

Not sure what's triggering it.
just know i'm starting to dribbly like lil missy.
smile
Oh well, i'll ride along with it. Seems worse in the evening.
Thanks for the feedback.

Goober Thu 19-Feb-09 20:12:19

This is an extreme case of it.

Imawurzel Thu 19-Feb-09 20:13:45

jeez!! it doesn't look like that.
It is red, and swelling here and there.

pinkteddy Thu 19-Feb-09 20:17:29

Sounds like it could be oral thrush?

pinkteddy Thu 19-Feb-09 20:20:38

more info here oral thrush

Imawurzel Thu 19-Feb-09 20:21:01

gonna google that.
Bit dumb me, how on earth did that happen.

pinkteddy Thu 19-Feb-09 20:22:44

have you taken antibiotics lately or asthma inhaler? apparently its usually in the mouth anyway just takes something to set it off!

Imawurzel Thu 19-Feb-09 20:26:13

nope, on nothing,taking nothing. weird. I'll go to boots and ask the chemist there for advice in the morning.
really feels like it's firing up now.
All i've eaten today is toast and jam, mac cheese, kitkat, cake with jam & mascarpone (made myself) coffeex2, poached egg,beans & toast for tea.
But it really does get worse in the evening.
Don't like the watery mouth thing.

BarbaraWoodlouse Fri 03-Apr-09 20:37:41

Imawurzel - did your tongue clear up in the end?

I've got it again now and it's driving me blinking crazy angry

MrsSprat Fri 03-Apr-09 20:47:13

Ouch. I've got this too! Not a hypochondriac honest - seem to be picking up all kinds of wierd stuff at the moment and lay the blame with all the 18 month olds I hang out with!

I just thought I'd overdone it with a hot coffee yesterday. It's awful, I can't taste a thing and it's murderous eating fruit.

What did you guys take to ease it?

BarbaraWoodlouse Fri 03-Apr-09 20:51:54

I am currently self medicating with a large glass of red smile

Otherwise I haven't really found anything that works. I did experiment a bit last night with Anbesol which stung like hell when I put it on but did then give some temporary relief. DD spilled the bottle this morning though so not anymore.

Just time I think - and I'm pretty sure it took a good 4 weeks to clear up last time (and I'm only 1 week in...)

I blame toddlers too - though DD seems to be fine hmm

Sidge Fri 03-Apr-09 20:52:54

I had this recently - a very sore tongue with lots of little sore red bumps and some ulcers.

It was quite swollen and I drooled a bit blush

I then got a sore throat and felt incredibly tired, it lasted about a week then just went.

I guess it was a viral thing.

IwishIwasamermaid Fri 03-Apr-09 20:53:32

I used to work in Max/Fax and often patients would come in with 'Burning Tongue Syndrome'

MrsSprat Fri 03-Apr-09 21:14:27

and what did you do with them, Mermaid?

I hate googling health stuff because of all the CYA scary go-to-your-doctor immediately rubbish. It's about as much use as....erm NHS Direct

IwishIwasamermaid Fri 03-Apr-09 21:23:35

Usually they were prescribed anti-depressants. If there was no obvious infection or anything then it was usually a sympton of anxiety and after having the antidepressants most of the patients reported that it was cured.

I'm not saying that is what is happening to you though blush

23lulu Thu 03-Apr-14 14:02:13

This sounds like it has to do with Candida, I mean your diet that day anyways consisted of no veggies what so ever, all you were eating were very acidic foods. Have you ever heard of the body ecology diet? I would look it up if I were you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now