Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tendonitis.. any advice?

(7 Posts)
MamaMaiasaura Tue 12-Apr-05 14:39:22

Has anyone had this? Yesterday - after getting hardley any sleep as 'excruitiating pain' when moving shoulder - i went to see doctor. Doctor said had tendonitis in shoulder joint and prescribed concotion of painkillers (which dont seem to be getting rid of pain) and said i needed to wear a collar/cuff sling to rest it. Have not injured shoulder or done anything out of ordinary. it really really hurts.

expatinscotland Tue 12-Apr-05 14:45:43

Immobilising it is a bad idea. Tendons don't get as much blood circulation as say, muscles. I had awful tendonitis in my patellar tendon after ligament recontruction. I found the most relief from applying hot packs and gentle stretching like yoga.

Long term use of NSAIDs like ibuprofen are not a good idea, either.

vkone Tue 12-Apr-05 14:51:51

I did something similar a few months ago, I thought I had tendonitis or bruscitis (spelling wrong) and my doctor prescribed Voltarol, but I couldn't sleep as everytime I moved i was in agony. Anyway after leaving it far too long and turning into a wreak I went back to Dr begging for a cortisone jab, she said "No" but made me an urgent appointment with our surgery physio. Turns out I'd been using the wrong muscles when lifting DS (11 mths at the time) and after one session with the physio I could sleep and after a few more I felt like a new woman.

Excuse the ramble but I think your best course is go back to your Dr and demand immediate help - cry if necessary!!

I now try and do exercises to pull my shoulders back and down and this keeps it at bay.

MamaMaiasaura Tue 12-Apr-05 14:55:27

I have a hot pack lent to me. It really hurts to abduct arm from body. Am a little frightened tbh as have had pains in chest for about 2 - 3 weeks on and off (like muscular pain) and poorly wrist on other hand which i couldnt use for about a week but thought that was through this project i had to do which involved a lots of typing (about 3 weeks back). My mum has shingles which she is recovering from but i dont have a rash like hers. I just feel like there is more going on iykwim but i hate to trouble dr's.

expatinscotland Tue 12-Apr-05 14:58:18

awen, figuring out what's wrong w/you is their job! go w/your gut; don't be afraid to 'bother' them. if you don't get satisfaction out of your surgery, find another one, go to an after-hours clinic, or visit your A&E if you think it's s/thing serious or is accompanied by chest pain/tightness.

MamaMaiasaura Tue 12-Apr-05 14:59:24

vkone - i have been prescribed voltoral as well 3 x day and co-codomal for night time. ds is now 5 so he doesnt get lifted much. Re night time - that is exactly it.. everytime i move it hurts.. my poor bf didnt get much sleep.

vkone Tue 12-Apr-05 15:11:09

I had stabbing pains in arm and felt like my shoulder/upper chest had been punched, does that sound similar? I really think you should go back to Drs, it's amazing how just repeated misuse of a muscle can cause such bad problems. Also Voltarol is not a medication that you should take for any long length of time - it is very strong! Does your surgery have an inhouse physio (lots do these days)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now