Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

oral thrush

(9 Posts)
meemee Mon 11-Apr-05 20:38:23

Does anyone know how to get rid of oral thrush? DS2 aged 3 months has had it almost since birth and is on the 3rd bottle of Nystan to no avail - he still has thrush on the inside of his cheeks and is getting more irritable by the day. Any advice would be welcomed...

WigWamBam Mon 11-Apr-05 20:40:33

If you're breast-feeding he could be passing it back to you, then you back to him - you need treatment too.

Lonelymum Mon 11-Apr-05 20:50:49

Yes you do need to be treated together if you are breast feeding. But surely the GP would have thought of that?

meemee Mon 11-Apr-05 21:04:28

The GP has also given me bottles of Nystan to put onto my nipples - I have been doing this and haven't experienced any symptoms. Maybe we're just a really yeasty family...??!

WigWamBam Mon 11-Apr-05 21:04:46

Mine didn't - it took my HV to make sure that I was treated, too.

popsycal Mon 11-Apr-05 21:08:32

mine didnt
i had to tell him we both needed treatment

eidsvold Tue 12-Apr-05 05:00:11

if you are breastfeeding you should also be treated. My dd2 had oral thrush and she had the nystatin drops and the GP told me just to get daktarin oral gel and put it on my nipples after each feed to stop reinfecting and to cure my nipple thrush. Here in Aus you can buy the daktarin oral gel over the counter - might be worth a try.... perhaps the drops aren't working?!??! She also did say that if the drops were unavailable I could use the gel with dd2. She was very young when she had this - 2 or 3 months old?!?!

Lonelymum Tue 12-Apr-05 09:22:55

Yes I had a cream to rub into the nipples after feeding and dd had some oral drops. Ican't remember the name of the cream but it might be something you could mention to your GP/HV.

mamadadawahwah Tue 12-Apr-05 13:29:42

Talk to a homeopath. There must be something besides all these prescription and over counter drugs/remedies. I know for me i use organic (must be organic) apple cider vinegar. and plain yogurt. Obviously no good for babies though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now