Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Acid Reflux

(7 Posts)
LadySam Sun 15-Feb-09 20:51:10

Can anyone advise I have been told I have a severe case of Acid Reflux for which should be controlled with high strength tablets unfortunately I have good days and bad days, the doctors just say that things will settle down (that was 12 months ago) in the meantime I eat very small portions of low fat food and have lost loads of weight to the point that my BMI is now 17 which is below the recommended target. Does any one have any suggestions - this is getting me down as my energy levels are rather low and with 2 girls (3 & 12) I am worn out.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 15-Feb-09 21:01:20

Have you not seen the doctor for a year? If you're still suffering like this, then I would go back.

I have had this on occasion, although thankfully just a couple of short-lived episodes. For me, stress is the key trigger.

Things I was told to do was to eat little and often, to avoid cheese, caffeine and red wine and to take up a form of exercise that helped deal with stress, like yoga or pilates.

HerbWoman Sun 15-Feb-09 21:19:07

Do you drink enough water - I read a book which explained that this can often be related to drinking too little. Basically, the body needs sufficient fluid to manufacture enough digestive juices in the intestines to neutralise the acid juices in the stomach. If there isn't enough to neutralise this, then the valve at the base of the stomach won't open to allow the stomach contents through, hence there is acid coming upwards. So you need to be drinking a glass of water around an hour before a meal (not with the meal) to give the body enough water to work with. Need to be aiming for around 2 litres a day altogether, but you might need to build it up over a period of time. The book is "Your body's many cries for water".

LadySam Sun 15-Feb-09 21:32:58

Hi,
Thanks for both suggestions, yes i am under the doctor and hospital for treatment, but cannot do anything more for me than to perscribe medication - will try to cut down on the tea (been drinking to much tea as its so cold up here in the Midlands)and drink more water and see how I get on. Thanks.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 15-Feb-09 21:37:27

Oh, and assume that you're making sure that you're sleeping with the head of your bed propped up?

foxinsocks Sun 15-Feb-09 21:37:54

that's interesting about the water

which meds are you on LadySam?

I was on 20mg omeprazole and when I had a bad attack, I swapped to 40mg but I am finding it's making me feel worse.

I haven't asked for them but I understand you can get anti-nausea pills prescribed as well. Might this help with your appetite?

Did they find out why it was happening?

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 15-Feb-09 21:40:37

Have you been checked out for heliobacter pylori?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now