Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Pain relief stronger than Calpol or Nurofen???

(8 Posts)
Aimsmum Mon 11-Apr-05 16:29:24

Message withdrawn

Enid Mon 11-Apr-05 17:10:03

you can give them together (well, an hour apart) if you need anything stronger I would say that you need to see a dr

dropinthe Mon 11-Apr-05 17:20:46

Medised-does tend to knock em out for six though!!

LIZS Mon 11-Apr-05 17:21:51

I would think anything stronger needs a prescription . Sorry to hear of your ongong problems.

Can I ask advice please ? ds has had a fever and headache on and off since yesterday. Seemed brighter by lunchtime today but then a bit dozy later and said his ear needed to pop afternoon. Has just announced (just as the dr shut) that he has bad earache and was crying so have given him Nurofen 5ml as our Swiss more potent painkillers (Voltarene/Voltarol) have all expired. In your experience is it better to use Calpol or Medised in conjunction ? Pain seems to have dulled for the time being but thinking of later on.

dropinthe Mon 11-Apr-05 17:25:12

I tend to use Medised for all things ear,nose and throaty as has a decongestant in it-as an earache sufferer too I know if I was a child I would want to be asleep if I could!! Just dont use it too much as pretty heavy stuff!

Aimsmum Mon 11-Apr-05 19:18:35

Message withdrawn

LIZS Mon 11-Apr-05 20:17:42

Thanks for that. He has long gone to bed with a dose of Medised so hopefully he'll have a good night.

Aimsmum, I hope your dd gets some respite from it all soon. I suffered ear pain as a child and still remember crying myself to sleep as it is so miserable . Think friend's ds has suffered similarly to your dd and has a lot of scar tissue in his inner ear as a result but, when he hasn't had infections, his hearing is actually still ok. He had his 3rd (?) set of grommits fitted in December, still in, and he hasn't had an infection since, after 5 years of the problems you describe. Hopefully there is yet a solution out there for your dd.

Aimsmum Mon 11-Apr-05 20:23:38

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: