Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can non-specific 'viral rashes' appear on whole body - arms, legs, torso etc?

(5 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 14-Feb-09 19:21:28

I am just wondering if I have remembered a doctor saying somewhere that rashes on legs indicate something more serious.

DD is knackered but ok. Had fever of 38.4 last night wheich was easily controlled. Nothing today. Eating fine. Rash over whole body (blanches etc - does look very 'viral' in nature).

jennifersofia Sat 14-Feb-09 19:25:00

Just took 9 mth dd to walk-in at hospital yesterday in a panic over this - been poorly and feverish for days, nasty cough and streaming with cold. Fever seemed to go down, then rash covering upper legs, tummy and back. GP said no worries, just more manifestation of the viral, and indeed, has mostly (but not completely) gone today.

Hope your one gets better soon!

MuchLessTiredNow Sat 14-Feb-09 19:29:33

my ds2 had a huge rash all over his body which came up from nothing and went within 12 hours, which included legs, but I think you should ring NHS direct to be on the safe side

lorisparkle Sat 14-Feb-09 19:51:29

Both my DS get viral rashes nearly every time they are poorly. The Dr always asks the same questions

Are they eating? (not to worry even if they are only eating a little or even nothing as DS1 usually does)

Are they drinking? (not to worry if they are but if not this is a cause for concern)

Are they alert and active? (concern if they are drowsy, unresponsive, etc)

Does the rash disappear if pressure is applied? (usual check for meningitus)

Of course you know your DC best and if you are concerned always get it checked out. My Drs are alwyas happy to see children and always say to come back if anything changes.

Lucky for me not only did DS1 and DS2 have high temperature and viral rash so did DH!

Hope your DD is better soon

Saltire Sat 14-Feb-09 20:02:34

DS1 always got viral rashes. On more than one occasion I remeber watching it spread from his feet upwards, and on more than one occasion had him in A&E convinced it was meningitis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now