Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

URGENT! Can I still pass on Chicken Pox even though I'm Immune??

(11 Posts)
Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 08:12:08

At work just now and one of guys here has a pregnant wife. Ds is still very much infectious poor we spotty lad that he is!

I am definitely immune as I had a blood test last year when I was pregnant. But can I still carry it on my clothes, hair etc? I know it's air bourne so I presume I can infect other people!

Help?

Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 08:30:58

Bumpity bump!

oldbuzzard Mon 11-Apr-05 08:34:57

Toothache, As long as you have had chickenpox yourself you cannot pass it on. It is spread by airborne droplets from coughs or sneezes of infected child or through direct contact with their blisters. Hope this helps

Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 08:37:16

Thanks oldbuzzard - I wonder if it could survive on clothing for any length of time?

Janna Mon 11-Apr-05 08:38:03

I'm not sure on this one... I would have thought that you would need direct contact with another person to get chicken pox. Can you not contact your gp or NHS direct to put your mind at rest. Hope your ds feels better soon. My ds is just getting over chicken pox, he's still got spots but they are scabs now!!

Toothache Mon 11-Apr-05 08:42:06

It's lovely eh? He's not ill at all, just covered head to foot in spots!

oldbuzzard Mon 11-Apr-05 09:12:31

Both my dd's are just over chickenpox and neither of them were ill just covered in spots. To clarify, chickenpox cannot be passed via clothing. My dh works on oil rigs and had to check with his employer before going offshore in case he infected his colleagues, but he was still allowed to work providing he had immunity himself.

Janna Mon 11-Apr-05 09:35:37

ds son wasn't ill either just moaned about the itching. Piriton syrup was fantastic at stopping that! i'm sure its dd turn now

GeorginaA Mon 11-Apr-05 19:38:50

Toothache: I think the chances would be almost zero. Chickenpox isn't particularly infectious (as infectious diseases go) - can't remember the exact stats but you have to be in fairly close continuous direct contact with someone who has chickenpox to have a chance of catching it. I know ds1 was exposed 3 or 4 times before he finally succumbed (when I was pregnant... of course!!) I very much doubt that the virus would survive long enough to be carried on you into work.

Toothache Tue 12-Apr-05 08:12:18

Thanks folks. The nurse at NHS direct told me it was an airbourne virus and the fact that dd and ds shared a bedroom meant she would almost definitely be exposed to it! I'm a bit more hopeful now as they haven't actually touched much. However.... ds has a habit of giving dd's dummy's a wee suck if he finds them!

GeorginaA Tue 12-Apr-05 09:03:03

Sorry - think siblings probably will get it - being in an enclosed space for an extended period of time ups the odds quite considerably. The virus is airbourne, but it wouldn't cling on your clothes and survive the journey to work, iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now