Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just had a Mirena fitted. its bloody agony.....what else should i know?

(15 Posts)
fattiemumma Mon 09-Feb-09 16:52:45

I was advised that for me this is the best course of long term contraception as im basically too fat for the depo or implant.

he warned me that i may get some nasty discharge for teh first couple of months but what other side effects have people experienced?

Molesworth Mon 09-Feb-09 17:06:16

I didn't get along with the Mirena at all. Had mine fitted at the beginning of 2004 and between then and last June (when I had it removed) I had mental health problems (severe depression and anxiety) and developed psoriasis!

I don't mean to frighten you but if you have any history of depression/anxiety then it might trigger these conditions. I kept explaining it away but since having the Mirena removed I am feeling much better, so ...

On the plus side, my periods all but disappeared and it is a completely hassle-free form of contraception as long as you're not one of the unlucky ones who experiences these side effects.

Good luck

Molesworth Mon 09-Feb-09 17:08:05

Sorry, meant to add that I experienced some severe cramping after having it fitted, but this cleared up after a couple of weeks and after that it was pain-free. Shame about the other side effects!

IdrisTheDragon Mon 09-Feb-09 17:12:26

I had painful cramps for about 24 hours. No spotting, and a period about 4 weeks later. No periods since - last period was in November.

I have depression which is brought on by anxiety and I have honestly not been any worse (in fact probably better) since having the coil inserted.

2shoesformyvalentine Mon 09-Feb-09 17:15:38

will message you hun

fattiemumma Mon 09-Feb-09 17:16:45

i dont have any history of depression. so hopefully that shouldn't be an issue.

the only bad points the gp could come up with was that the first couple of months would cause me to have a "black tarr like discharge" which didnt' sound too pleasant. im very glad neither of you experienced similar.

herbietea Mon 09-Feb-09 17:19:12

Message withdrawn

fattiemumma Mon 09-Feb-09 17:25:39

oh god shock

Molesworth Mon 09-Feb-09 21:40:13

Don't panic FM, a lot of women get on with the Mirena perfectly well, and I'm glad to hear you've no history of depression (even if you had, it doesn't necessarily trigger problems, but the product monograph does mention mental health side effects, which I was NOT warned about angry).

I didn't get any tar-like discharge. Pain like period cramps for a couple of weeks, but after that no pain and very very light periods (so light there was no need for tampons/towels, just a liner).

VanillaPumpkin Mon 09-Feb-09 21:43:34

I had horrid horrid pains for the first 24 hours but barely any bleeding at all since September. I love it. Good Luck. Hope it works out.

lessonlearned Mon 09-Feb-09 21:48:15

I found it was fantastic after a year, but before I got it I had been bleeding (heavy and continual) a lot. After a year of still bleeding things changed and I got a little spot once a month.
I'm on my second one now and I wouldn't have any other contraceptive for the world. No more PMS, bloating, backache etc...just marvelous!

fattiemumma Tue 10-Feb-09 18:24:26

very glad to hear sdome more positive stories.
i woke up today with cramping but it seems to have gotten better now.
fingers crossed

missingtheaction Tue 10-Feb-09 18:26:21

never had black tar like discharge thank goodness! did have unpredictable spotting for first 6-8 weeks - and since then 15 blissful period-free (and baby free) years

ContainsWildPerilousLuurve Tue 10-Feb-09 18:28:14

I'm in love with mine!

I've gone from heavy (sheets / clothes soaked) bleeding to a couple of days of pinkish goo a month. Bliss!!!

Okay - i may be struggling to lose weight (so what's new) which may be related but, well, i'm in love!

peachface Tue 10-Feb-09 18:30:44

I have had good experience of Mirena! Had for 7mths now. Cramping and light bleeding after fitting (make sure you take it easycertainly for the first few hours after fitting). Light spotting every few weeks, slightly sore boobs at times but apart from that,it's wonderful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now