Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

temp 104 - toddler 2 1/2

(12 Posts)
hermykne Sat 09-Apr-05 20:41:04

any advice ?
her symtoms are temp 104, very hot back, ears,neck
no rash
no appetite this past 3 days
nappies are bit strong smelling so i thought maybe UTI???

or chickenpox, at a christening last sunday and one boy was just out of cjickenpox and supposingly in the clear?

deegward Sat 09-Apr-05 20:43:45

All i would say is damp cloths to cool down, and calpol & nurofen alternate every two hours. Hope she gets better soon

kid Sat 09-Apr-05 20:43:50

give calpol (and ibuprofen if you have it) strip down and bathe with tepid water (especailly under armpits).
This should bring temp down straight away. Then I'd call out of hours Dr for advice.

hermykne Sat 09-Apr-05 20:46:49

ok thanks

bellababe Sat 09-Apr-05 20:47:36

the trick with the bathing is to let them dry naturally - ie don't use a towel. It is absolutely horrible - they hate it because they feel so cold and you feel so mean not wrapping them up and hugging them but it's what the doctors will tell you to do if you call them. The really important thing is to bring the temperature down as soon as poss - and do do the double medicine thing, just making sure that there is a 4-hr gap before repeating either drug (paracetamol or ibuprofen).

hermykne Sat 09-Apr-05 20:49:48

i ve given her a suppository of paracetmol at 8.10 or so
when should i give her nurofen? at midnight?

swiperfox Sat 09-Apr-05 20:52:34

do phone the doc as well just to be on the safe side. 104 used to be the temp where they had to be seen because it was the danger temp for convulsions. I think its actually changed now but do ring for your own peace of mind.

Also if you have a fan get it going in the room.

Hope she's ok

kid Sat 09-Apr-05 20:55:09

You can give her the nurofen now, I think you have to wait 6 hours before you repeat the nurofen.

swiperfox Sat 09-Apr-05 20:56:20

do phone the doc as well just to be on the safe side. 104 used to be the temp where they had to be seen because it was the danger temp for convulsions. I think its actually changed now but do ring for your own peace of mind.

Also if you have a fan get it going in the room.

Hope she's ok

hermykne Sat 09-Apr-05 22:13:36

its now 98.6, and she is sweating it out, her hair is soaking but shes fast asleep since 9 or so

kid Sun 10-Apr-05 11:14:21

How is she this morning?
Hope you both had a good nights sleep.

hermykne Sun 10-Apr-05 12:20:39

hi kid thanks for asking
she went up again this morn to 104 from 98 at11pm last night, she slept fine all nght but sweated loads out at 11p m or so, up early as ds woke her, but i took her to docs and he found nothing visible, perhaps a urinary tract infection as she did mention to me earlier in week wee wee was sore so got augmentin for 4 days.
otherwise shes fine and cant wait to go to see her nana today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now