Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am only 35 but have been getting bad dizzy spells

(8 Posts)
dropinthe Sat 09-Apr-05 16:27:35

when I'm due on! I have been in a permanent dizzy spell all day and its freaking me out!!
Does anyone else have the same problem-I'm new to this and its bloody horrible! Havent been having proper periods as breastfeeding and have just come off the Depoprovera jab about two months ago-I feel awful!

noddyholder Sat 09-Apr-05 16:32:36

I get this but not every month sometimes i am really dizzy in the days before my period is due i have at times been to scared togo to the shops!Doctor didn't take it seriously as I am not anaemic I find I have to rest and thats the only thing that works!

sunnyskies Sat 09-Apr-05 17:01:31

Could it be sugar levels -a girl at work doc didn't think of that and turned out she was border line diabetic, it affected her more for some reason at that time of month

jojohay Sat 09-Apr-05 21:23:10

I bet you have Labarinthitis!!! a middle ear infection that keeps recurring... it's a right pain, but very common. You can take sea sickness tablets....but check with your doctor!!!

lucy5 Sat 09-Apr-05 21:26:53

Could it be something to do with blod pressure? When prgnant I had high blod pressure and used to get really dizzy.

dropinthe Mon 11-Apr-05 10:08:44

OMG-I'm a walking disaster!-what should I check first-ears,blood pressure or sugar??
I feel much better today as have come on so its definitely a before period thang.

Mothernature Mon 11-Apr-05 10:29:06

dropinthe I had this problem and it was found to be my Pituitary Gland, I particularly had problems with 'prolactin - which stimulates milk production after giving birth' it didn't stop when it was supposed to, yes I stopped producing milk but the hormones built up and gave me the dizziness you describe, it took 12 months to diagnose, I was put on a corse of tablets and it seem to help, but even now I still have episodes.

About The Pituitary Gland
Anatomy of the pituitary gland:
The pituitary gland is sometimes called the "master" gland of the endocrine system, because it controls the functions of the other endocrine glands. The pituitary gland is no larger than a pea, and is located at the base of the brain. The gland is attached to the hypothalumus (a part of the brain that affects the pituitary gland) by nerve fibers. The pituitary gland itself consists of three sections:

the anterior lobe
the intermediate lobe
the posterior lobe
Functions of the pituitary gland:
Each lobe of the pituitary gland produces certain hormones.

anterior lobe:

growth hormone
prolactin - to stimulate milk production after giving birth
ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone) - to stimulate the adrenal glands
TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) - to stimulate the thyroid gland
FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) - to stimulate the ovaries and testes
LH (luteinizing hormone) - to stimulate the ovaries or testes

intermediate lobe:

melanocyte-stimulating hormone - to control skin pigmentation
posterior lobe:

ADH (antidiuretic hormone) - to increase absorption of water into the blood
by the kidneys
oxytocin - to contract the uterus during childbirth and stimulate milk production.

dropinthe Mon 11-Apr-05 14:27:18

Sorry,mnature that I wasnt around to reply to that-would the fact that I'm breastfeeding have anything to do with this??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now