Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

teething question - urgent

(23 Posts)
sleepymama Fri 08-Apr-05 15:54:44

I am sorry if this question has been asked a thousand and one times but just wondering if anyone could help.
My ds is 17 weeks and for the past 3 days has had the following:
red cheeks
drooling
waking at night every 45 mins to hour and half
Diarrhoea
He has also developed a temperature this afternoon. i rang my HV his morning (prior to temperature) and she said it was probably either thrush or teething.
I didn't realise that temp could be raised with teething. Do you think I should ring the doc or just wait and see. Also isn't he a bit young to be teething?

debs26 Fri 08-Apr-05 16:00:11

ds3 gets a temp when he is teething and 17 weeks is way older than he was when he started! all the symptoms sound like teething. strip him off, give him some calpol and see how he is in a bit. wouldnt leave it for days tho - ds seems to get hot for an hour or two and then calm down again. hth

albert Fri 08-Apr-05 16:08:04

Definately sounds like teething to me, all quite common symptoms. You could try giving him some homeopathic chamomilla from the heatlth food shop or Boots, try a potency of about 30. I am not a homeopath but this is great stuff.

Mud Fri 08-Apr-05 16:12:23

no, not too young
sounds like all the sounds

give him a little calpol to get over it

he still may not get a tooth for a few months but these kinds of signs come around month 3 normally

sleepymama Fri 08-Apr-05 16:47:02

He's also got nappy rash now....
V.Grumpy baby.
Albert -have tried the sachets of teething granules/powder this avo.

Clayhead Fri 08-Apr-05 16:48:55

My ds & dd has exactly the same at almost exactly the same age, didn't see any actual tooth for a few more weeks though.

Each time they got a tooth they got
- temperature
- foul nappies (and subsequent nappy rash)
- red patches
- lack of sleep
- irritable

I gave Calpol and brufen as well after 6 months.

Good luck!

sleepymama Fri 08-Apr-05 20:49:43

Thanks Clayhead. Have given ds calpol tonight. Bit worried about his nappy rash though as it looks sooooooo sore and he's never suffered with it before
Is it true that its the first teeth that cause them the most discomfort? I don't think I could go through this stress and worry everytime a tooth comes!!!

koalabear Fri 08-Apr-05 20:51:08

have you tried metamium (sp?) for the nappy rash? works wonders for my ds

sleepymama Fri 08-Apr-05 20:53:53

Whats that and where do you get it koalabear?

stripey Fri 08-Apr-05 20:58:35

I find that sudocreme is fantastic for nappy rash. It does sound like teething and unfortunately IME the first teeth are not the worst. The top front ones and back are quite bad.

You could put your finger in his mouth and see if you can feel anything sharp coming through the gums first ones are usually on the bottom. You could try a bit of baby bongela if it is teeth too.

Carameli Fri 08-Apr-05 21:03:40

agree that metanium is great stuff, but can stain clothes so take a bit of care with it.

I also found that with my dd(now 18mnths) it was the first teeth that made her really miserable. Maybe she got a bit more used to it. She does have some days/nights when it gives her a bit of trouble but nothing too major. But she stil gets a really red cheek with it.
We use teetha granules which she loves, no idea why, they are tastless to me.

I also use Nurofen for children sachets, but that is mainly becuase she like the orange taste more than calpol.

In my experience it does get easier, also I think if you are a first time mum like me then you get more confident in how to comfort them.

sleepymama Fri 08-Apr-05 21:04:58

Thanks Stripey - have been using sudocreme today.
The nappies are pretty foul. Am not sure if I should just change him the once when he gets up for feed in the night or each time he cries. Don't want his nappy rash getting worse buit equally he hates his nappy being changed at the best of time and it could make him sooo irritable.

sleepymama Fri 08-Apr-05 21:15:32

Most important question - how long will this last on average? (she asks hoping for some sleep soon)

fairi Fri 08-Apr-05 21:17:23

chamomilla - the best thing! plus maybe belladonna (homeopathic) - I'm not a homeopath, but my ds would teeth SIX teeth at once! homeopathy came out tops for him!

koalabear Fri 08-Apr-05 21:45:16

can get metanium over the counter at chemist - truly miracle cure when my son's nappy rash was SO bad he was bleeding

i would put metamium on the really bad stuff, sudocrem around the rest, and then sprinkle with power (not talc, but the safe one - i think it is corn based)

koalabear Fri 08-Apr-05 21:46:10

how long? different babies, different teeth, different length

with us, it was only bad for about 48 hours

koalabear Fri 08-Apr-05 21:48:30

for the teeth, i gave him a little knotted toy to chew on, and neurofen liquid in a special syringe - seemed to work better than calpol - tried teething gel, but he wouldn't let me get anywhere near his gums with it

Christie Sat 09-Apr-05 12:31:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BROWNY Sat 09-Apr-05 12:43:55

I've tried the Ashton & Parsons powders with all four of mine, but with my new ds I tried Nelsons Powders, these are in sealed paper sachets and you get about 24 of them a box, they cost about £4.20 - they act a lot quicker than Ashton & Parsons and seem to calm the upset tummy down too! For a temperature, I've always tried Calpol first but just lately I've had to use Baby Nurofen and found it works much faster. By the way, my ds's nose runs a lot too when he's teething!

P.S. My ds (now 10 months old, just got his first tooth two weeks ago) has been teething since he was 8 weeks old, so you might have quite some time to wait - sorry

sleepymama Sat 09-Apr-05 15:57:06

Thanks for the replies. Have now purchased metanium and nave used it once. Lets hope it works as ds's bum starting to blister. Have got ashton and parsons powder also.
Not so sure is teething now as whole house now seems to have diarrehoea.....
Gave ds calpol last night and seemed to have a better night until about 2.30am - then was up every hour
lets hope it doesn't take long to go away.

koalabear Sun 10-Apr-05 08:48:58

how's it going sleepingmama?

sleepymama Sun 10-Apr-05 10:07:39

Hi there Koalabear - DS still bad with diarrehoea. He leaving up to 2 oz of his feed everytime. Means he's a whole feed short by the end of the day. But he doesn't seem especially hungry. Just appears that everything is going through him. He won't take water either.
I have used the metanium and its pretty good stuff! Just not sure how long this is going to go on for?

humphrey Sun 10-Apr-05 10:33:32

The teething may put him off feeding a bit but make sure that he is not getting dehydrated with having diarrhoea and not taking as much fluids on board.

My dd gets really bad nappy rash everytime a tooth is about to break through and I found the best thing for it was leaving her nappy off for as long as possible during the day, there is nothing as good as fresh air to clear it up quickly. In our experience the teething can go on quite a while Aaaagggghhh!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: