Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Getting a urine sample from a potty untrained 2 yrs old. HEEEELPPPP!

(8 Posts)
Chandra Fri 08-Apr-05 09:57:39

I have been trying to get one for a day and there's no way to keep him sitting in the potty (For some strange reason he wants to do the business in private and runs away from you waving bye bye and closing the door after him. Yesterday I left him run with no nappy around the house while I followe with an aluminium container. Obviously, I was late and found a rather worried toddler looking at the puddle as if something very wrong had happened. I thought that was it and proceed to clean the spot. Meanwhile DS went quietly to his bedroom and then I heard him screaming as if there was a tiger in his room... well nbot a tiger but he was there creaming looking at a po crying as if some important part of his body had just fallen out to the floor. It took a bit of time to calm him down and I decided to try again this morning. Any ideas about a non-traumatic way to get the sample without creating bad associations? (I wanted to start potty training soon but this whole issue has scared so much that if he needs to do his business starts crying saying "poo" even when I have not chased him anymore after the incident last morning).

Please help

Chandra Fri 08-Apr-05 09:59:25

creaming=screaming

scared him so much

gscrym Fri 08-Apr-05 10:04:11

How about getting one of his favourite teddies to use the potty, maybe even put a little bit of water in to show that teddy wasn't scared. I had this last year and DS was devastated when he couldn't have his nappy and all he wanted to do was sit on my knee and get cuddled. It's a pity they can't analyse the contents of a nappy.

Good luck.

debs26 Fri 08-Apr-05 10:04:30

we had to do this regularly for hospital checkups. they gave us a what looked like a sterile sanitary pad which was put in the nappy until the child wet it, then it was squeezed out into a sample container. you cant use pads like always as they turn the wet stuff into crystals, it has to be one that is basically cotton wool and im not sure if using a shopbought one would affect the test as it may have to be sterile. if you cant get this from your doctor, try ringing you local childrens ward or childrens out patients and i am sure they will supply one for you

Chandra Fri 08-Apr-05 10:24:05

I'll try the teddy.
Debs, did they offer you that pad here in the UK? the only thing they offeed to me here was a little plastic bag in which you insert his weelie. Obviously, if it didn't work when he was a rather stay-were-you-leave-it baby, now it's out of the question. .

I have ring the childrens ward but line still busy.
Thanks, if in the mean time, some one has other suggestions, they are very welcomed.

debs26 Fri 08-Apr-05 10:28:30

yes we are in uk, most of our check ups were at childrens out patients. another thing to try is leaving nappy off a bit, then when you think he needs to wee run a few inches of water in the bath and stand him in it, this usually makes them go for some reason

bubblerock Fri 08-Apr-05 10:37:43

Hi Chandra - don't envy you at all! When DS1 was in hospital as a baby the nurse needed a urine sample and gentle tapped his penis and blew on it - have no idea if this is a medically proven method or if she was a bit strange - worked eventually though!
Good luck

Chandra Fri 08-Apr-05 10:53:05

HE has loved the teddy trick, teddy and dad-teddy went to the potty, had a wee and we put the "wee" in a little container and... while I was taking teddy to the potty, DS did his business still with the nappy on [exhasperation emoticon]. I will try to be quicker after lunch. I will try the bath thing as well, and everything you have suggested here

Thanks,

P.S. but if you have more ideas please tell me about them .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now