Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

9 week old set off baby monitor - reassurance please!!

(13 Posts)
pbo Sun 01-Feb-09 10:14:39

At silly o'clock this morning I'd just tearfully waved DH off on his far-too-long deployment to a mountainous country somewhere east and had crawled back into bed when DD's monitor alarm went off. It's one of those sensor ones that goes off if it doesn't detect movement/breathing for 20 secs. I ran in and wobbled her a bit and she started up again with no fuss but I'm now a bit worried. She hasn't done this before but surely 20 secs is a bit long to be holding your breath?! Is this normal? I'm probably a bit paranoid now that I've got to look after our LO without DH for a while but anyone got any advice/experience?

Highlander Sun 01-Feb-09 10:36:14

You don't need a monitor. If you're baby'sa going to die from SIDS, there's nothing you can do about it. it's far more likely that the monitor is faulty. Move her cot by uor bed if you're worried

TrinityRhino Sun 01-Feb-09 10:38:26

I would never have one of those monitors
just throw it away and have your baby in your room

babys are supposed to be near you as your breathing regulates their breathing

or something like that but it has been proven that they are better near you

trixiethepixie Sun 01-Feb-09 10:40:07

My ds was prem and when I asked the hospital if he needed one of those monitor thingies they told me not to bother. Their reason was even full-term baby's breathing is erractic at times and can set them off. Causes more stress and worry when it isn't necessary.

SoupDragon Sun 01-Feb-09 10:40:18

Get something like a Coorie sling so you can carry her next to your heart as she sleeps. It will give you more reassurance and her more comfort than a monitor.

Tula2 Sun 01-Feb-09 10:40:21

Hi

Now I am mrs paranoid (believe me) and this has happened several times with our babies. Firstly with my little girl who is now a strappng six year old and more lately with my 9 month old baby.

To be honest its not so much about the baby not breathnig, its more about the equipment just not picking up the pulse, the baby can move a fraction and the pad that detects the pulse just doesn't pick it up.

The first time it happenend I just about fainted (yes I'm great in an emergency) but everything was fine, except for my baby getting a fright with me shaking her!

Ultimately if it was in fact the baby not breathing that is the whole point of the equipment to alert you that something isn't right and it gives you the chance to wake your baby.

MarlaSinger Sun 01-Feb-09 10:45:40

My DS has done this a few times - it is not that he stopped breathing, but that his breathing got very shallow - on mine I can adjust the sensitivity - does yours do this?

I know the others are right in a way but even at 15 months I rely on mine as without it I'd be going in to check on him every half hour probably. I know I have to get rid of it soon... but soon, not now... they are comforting and have a place.

Tula2 Sun 01-Feb-09 10:51:05

I am surprised that they are not more popular, it was actually my Consultant at the hospital that recommended it to me.

For me its been an absolute godsend and gives me peace of mind - we used it with my little girl until she was 2yrs.

As always each to their own, but I wouldn't be without it.

pbo Sun 01-Feb-09 10:58:28

I have a monitor because we have a bit of history of SIDS in my family and I want some warning if anything goes wrong. As for monitors not working; my little brother wouldn't be here if he hadn't had a monitor, he stopped breathing and went seriously blue and limp twice and my parents had to struggle to get him to breathe again. I know people say they're useless but surely if your baby stops breathing and you know about it within 20 secs or so you have more of a chance of getting them going again?
She might have been breathing really shallow, but I've struggled to see/hear her breathing sometimes and the monitor's always picked it up.
I can't really have her in our room - much as I'd love to - she's outgrown her Moses basket, doesn't like sleeping in our bed and our room's too small for her cot.

trixiethepixie Sun 01-Feb-09 11:06:50

Oh my. I can see why you have one now. Would you consider co-sleeping? Or isn't there some sort of cot type thing that attaches onto your bed?

pbo Sun 01-Feb-09 11:16:22

Thanks trixie - I'll look into a cot that attaches, we'd have space for that! Co-sleeping would work if dd would sleep. She did when she was younger and I found it so easy to feed and I loved knowing that she was alright just by hearing her snuffles etc but for some reason she stopped wanting to sleep in the same bed. About 2 wks ago she only wanted to sleep in her basket which is where she used to sleep in the day. I might try again though...

paddyclamp Sun 01-Feb-09 22:54:28

I'm afraid i'm gonna have to disagree with the ppl who said throw the monitor away..one of these monitors saved my DD's life

AlexanderPandasmum Sun 01-Feb-09 23:41:14

I agree - it's not that easy for some people sad.

I haven't got a history of SIDS in our family (2 cases - one on each side) but I am ultra paranoid because of my first baby being stillborn. I know it isn't related in any way but it does make the possibility of your child dying a reality and when our next child came along (and was also premature) I really felt I needed that reassurance.

I can understand how the alarm going off really shook you - it has gone off for us a couple of times in the time he had his sensor pad. However, it was worth it for us to be able to actually sleep knowing that it would alert us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: