Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dentists what a load of crap!!!

(30 Posts)
daisey Wed 06-Apr-05 22:05:00

Having just had ds1,I decided Id better make the most of my maternity exemption certificate and go to the dentist for a checkup especially as one of my wisdom teeth is coming through and causing me alot of pain. I thought if I go now get them checked, cleaned and whatever else I can get done for free I should be ok and covered until ds/d2 comes along.I mean this is one of the perks of being pregnant free dental treatment and perscriptions. Well what a load of crap I only rang ever nhs dentist in the yellow pages to find out there are absolutely none in my town taking on patients and the nearest one is 30 miles away! I mean what is the point of the mat exemption certificate the only thing I managed to get is a measly bottle of gaviscon.

ks Wed 06-Apr-05 22:08:50

Message withdrawn

daisey Wed 06-Apr-05 22:10:56

Im in plymouth, I know tell me about it!

mummytosteven Wed 06-Apr-05 22:11:20

yes I do commiserate. do you have a GP walk in centre with an attached dentist/dental hospital that might see you for free?

liverpool oddly enough seems to be surprisingly good for NHS dentists - my old one turfed me out (owner of practice retired, new owners are only doing private) and I found a new NHS one convenient for me. think by the sounds of it this must be unique for this country.

jane313 Wed 06-Apr-05 22:14:43

Are you sure you can't go to a private dentist? I went to one when I was a student and got everything done for free. My understanding was that nhs and private dentist charge different amounts to people who can pay but they were all free for children/unemployed etc. I may be worng though as this was five or so years ago.

daisey Wed 06-Apr-05 22:16:48

Yeah there is a walk in centre somewhere but apparently I have to ring up on the 11th becuase no ones there until then. My dp is telling me just to go priviate but I refuse to pay when im now entitled to it for free. We all pay enough taxes in this country. And dental care should be part of my postnatal care.

Jimjams Wed 06-Apr-05 22:47:39

I was about to say our local paper is always going on about it - but my local paper is the Evening Herald so you know that already! I think Plymouth is one of the woorst places in the country for finding an NHS dentist. I'm lucky- when we moved back down here 3 years ago my old childhood dentist took us back on as a family even though he was officially full (think he likes my mum and did it as a favour to her).

jane- I expect you saw an NHS dentist who also took on private patients iyswim. There are NHS dentists in Plymouth but they are all full.

ks Wed 06-Apr-05 22:56:55

Message withdrawn

mummytosteven Wed 06-Apr-05 23:00:40

oh I agree on that KS - that it's the NHS that should be sorting this out one way or another, rather than it being the dentists' fault overall.

Jimjams Wed 06-Apr-05 23:02:32

They make more than doctors! For less stress....

Something does need to be done though. It's a mess.

lockets Wed 06-Apr-05 23:03:25

Message withdrawn

irishbird Wed 06-Apr-05 23:07:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jimjams Wed 06-Apr-05 23:08:36

It is true Irishbird- but the nearest ones taking on patients here are 30 miles away!

mummytosteven Wed 06-Apr-05 23:08:42

the NHS direct website should also do that too.

SecondhandRose Thu 07-Apr-05 06:47:57

Having worked in the dental profession for some years. There is no such thing as a poor dentist. If they are allowed to get away with their behaviour then they will.

daisey Thu 07-Apr-05 09:27:21

I was on the nhs list when I was a student and then got moved on to the priviate list by my loyal dentist when I started working. Then I fell pregnant shortly after that, had to give my work up because of complications so I havent had any entitlement to maternity pay. This was the only thing im entitled to.My antenatal care was crap too, appointments being cancelled, midwives not turning up no wonder I eneded up with high bp. The government just seem to be cutting back on things all the time.

ks Thu 07-Apr-05 15:23:44

Message withdrawn

ks Thu 07-Apr-05 15:25:51

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Thu 07-Apr-05 15:29:15

possibly depends on what you mean by a lot ks. SIL -a dentist- earns almost the same as dh (a lawyer) in 2 and half days. DH works until very late each night. think a GP's job is faaaar more stressful personally.

professionals will alwyas have high suicide rates- goes with being a high achiever (which you have to be to be a dentist).

ks Thu 07-Apr-05 15:33:39

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Thu 07-Apr-05 16:34:22

ks - guessing from other posts....... but i think your definition of a lot may be very um - putting this politely- south east based. SIL's earnings would not be considered huge in the SE. They would here (and the part of the country she lives in). Certainly her household income is at least double ours (and ours is good for the SW) - and her dh doesn't earn that much.

She doesn't have the responsibility that GP's I know have (but then she doesn't run her own practice- she is self employed but not a partner in the practice).

mummytosteven Thu 07-Apr-05 16:36:19

i would also have thought that in some ways dentistry would be a lot less stressful, as you don't get involved in the nitty gritty of your patients' life. if you bear in mind that lots of consultations with GP are to do with depression/mental health issues, and the sort of child protection issues that they might be involved with, I can imagine that it could be extremely stressful;.

Bozza Thu 07-Apr-05 16:40:45

Daisey can't you just go to your usual dentist and give him your exemption certificate. I think the problem here is trying to find a new dentist.

Am going tomorrow for my last check up before my cert. runs out. Kids also have appts so have to take them along. Hmm really enjoyable experience thats going to be (not).

SeaShells Thu 07-Apr-05 16:44:08

We relocated last Oct and even before we moved we started looking for nhs dentists in the area, eventually found one that would take us on, this is 20miles away, 6 months to get our first check up, which we are due to go for in May!

I thought it couldn't get any worse when the only gp surgery that could take us on was a temporary one staffed by locums in a porta cabin ffs but this is just not on!

We have tax credit exemption cards for free dental care, honestly I do not see the point in wasting the plastic making them, they aren't worth anything to anyone!

ks Thu 07-Apr-05 16:46:30

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now