Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oh hell! Just been told I have to have a hysterectomy. Please help.

(24 Posts)
ziopin Fri 30-Jan-09 14:20:48

I'm so scared. I'm 36 and have a severe prolapsed womb.

I need a hysterectomy (leaving ovaries in). I should have asked a milion questions (main one being do I really need this, or can I live with it just handing out a little bit) blush

I dont want to go though early menopause.

Please help

SoMuchToBits Fri 30-Jan-09 14:23:21

If you are having the ovaries left in, then you won't go through early menopause, as the ovaries are the bit which make the hormones. You won't have periods any more, but shouldn't suffer other menopausal symptoms.

poshwellies Fri 30-Jan-09 14:26:59

I had a hysterectomy at 31,due to a pretty bad prolapse and very very heavy,painful periods.,that was 2 years ago.

I'm a wealth of knowledge! smile

Ask away

ziopin Fri 30-Jan-09 14:30:13

hi poshwellies,

has your hair turned white over night? smile that's what a friend has told me

have you kept your ovaries?

how long did it take you to recover post op?

xx

ziopin Fri 30-Jan-09 14:33:51

Oh, and also, if its not life threatening, cant I just live with it?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 30-Jan-09 14:37:48

My mum has just had this done for the same reasons. she thought she could live with it but the pain just got worse and worse. She feels so much better now she has had the op.

The only thing she complains about is feeling hot all the time.

She kept her ovaries. Her hair has turned white, but I suspect that maybe bleach wink and it she was back on her feet making tea <much to everyones dismay> about 8 days later. And back at work 6 weeks later. Though during her 6 weeks off went camping a lot with my dad and dd1, so can't have felt that bad.

poshwellies Fri 30-Jan-09 14:42:47

grin at the white hair (I actually though I would age 30 years overnight blush,I haven't though!)

Yeah I kept my ovaries,because of my age and there was nothing wrong with their function,I had a little blip along the way but I'm not actually going through the early menopause (had tests and they are working).

They can actually fail after the hysterectomy-they go into shock anyway for a few weeks but if you are healthy and there are late onsets of menopause within your female relatives,then the likelihood is,that you will go through a menopause at the a normal age.

Recovery time was about 7 weeks,you aren't allowed to life anything heavier than a kettle for the first 6 weeks anyway (and you won't feel like it either),but having a early hysterectomy means you have health and age on your side, I felt I recovered fairly quickily.My dh only had 2 weeks off of work to help out with dc's and I managed ok after that.

I was very very worried too,but actually,I feel so much better-very mild pmt,hardly noticeable,no heavy painful grim periods and none of those dragging uncomfortable feelings you have with a prolapse.

Oh and we have a very active sexlife,so no worries there either grin.

poshwellies Fri 30-Jan-09 14:46:50

It's totally your choice to go through with it Ziopin,but I was told my prolapse would only worsen and that would mean repeat repair ops (which also take 6 weeks to recover from).

We couldn't have anymore children as dh had had the snip-I think thats the main issue,on whether you could have more children if they can repair.

fruitful Fri 30-Jan-09 14:47:04

I had a hysterectomy in Dec 07 (things when pearshaped during cs with ds2). Still have my ovaries.

My recovery is probably not relevant since I also had a baby at the same time and I think that might have made it harder smile.

I'm still ovulating - I'm currently in the week before my period won't happen, IYSWIM. I can tell by the spots on my face [sigh]. I haven't really noticed any physical changes - it's hard to tell since my hormones have changed every time I've had a baby anyway. My asthma has got worse, which can be hormonal but could be a lot of other things too.

I feel old. That's the main thing. No more children = old. Which is illogical but I can't shake it.

But not having periods is absobloodylutely marvellous.

ziopin Fri 30-Jan-09 14:47:08

thanks so much poshwellies. I havent stopped crying since 9.30am, seriously hope that stops soon!

xx

ziopin Fri 30-Jan-09 14:52:05

Oh dont feel old fritful sad, that's made me cry again!

poshwellies Fri 30-Jan-09 14:56:44

[gentle squeeze] ziopin,I felt totally the same,I was a emotionally wreck when my gynae informed me that he thought it was the best option.

I had alot of trouble getting over the fact I was going to lose what I felt made me a woman,and at a young age too.

Weighing it up ,it was the right choice for me-I was constantly feeling run down with the prolapse (urine infections and irritations,painful and uncomfortable sex etc) and anaemia from my heavy periods,I was at the end of my tether really.

I agree with fruitful,having no periods is loooovely smile

Hope you come to the right decision for you ziopin.

BellaNoir Sat 31-Jan-09 21:23:01

hysterectomy-association website has loads of info and support forums, with monthly groups who are going for the op at the same time.
I found it v.useful.

evenmoremiserablethanbefore Thu 23-Jul-09 18:38:10

Hi
I have heard you can have a hysterectomy via keyhole??!! is this true?
do they cut the womb away from your tubes then pull it through the vagina? surely they dont pull it through the stomach?
please dont laugh ,its only what I,ve heard
I ask because I am at the end of my tether with my periods...
had all the tests...no cancer {thank god} endo,fibroids...nothing apart from a few adhesions,no progesterone which is causing 3 week periods.HG of 10 ,but it has been 8
I have had the mirena coil fitted - twice....both fell out and now I am back to square one and so very, very depressed and weak....anaemic again and completely pissed of sad
had this going on for several years now...
dont want to try the ablation just want rid of my womb....
got 3 lovely kids but dont want anymore
I,m 37 and cannot have hormones coz of high blood pressure......
I have changed my doctor and want to ask my new one for a hysterectomy even though I,m shit scared.....I cannot live like this anymore!! permenantly sat on the loo
should have bought shares in 'ALWAYS' towels.
any advice and /or encouragement please?

EldonAve Thu 23-Jul-09 18:44:24

have you tried drugs to lessen the bleeding?

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jul-09 18:50:53

'dont want to try the ablation just want rid of my womb....'

Why? Removing the womb can cause serious problems with the pelvic floor and urinary continence, and hysterectomy can be tricky in patients with endo or with big fibroids (some of these women cannot have their uterus removed vaginally/keyhole and have to have a full abdominal incision).

My sister had endometrial ablation (Novasure) and it changed her life!

NO more heavy bleeding. She has no period or very light ones.

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jul-09 18:52:15

Plus a lot of times you'll have to try the ablation first because it's far, far cheaper than hysterectomy and has a far reduced chance of complications.

evenmoremiserablethanbefore Thu 23-Jul-09 18:58:00

I begged the practice manager to enquire about the Novosure...she just said she doesnt think the PCT will fund it,but I can have it done in London for £3,000 !
I,ve tried mefamenic and tranexamic acid,but had severe reaction to the latter
I,ve heard of progesterone injections to balance out the estorgen,but I doubt I can have them because of my blood pressure...
the novosure sounds good but I,m scared of GA ...could I have it under local?
thanks for your quick replies

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jul-09 19:01:18

you can have Novasure under local, but you cannot have ANY sort of hysterectomy under local, so if you're frightened of GA it's not a good option.

complain about the practice manager or insist she finds out if they will fund it and if they won't appeal the decision.

she doesn't think they will is not a good enough response.

her job is to find out, not send a person off for complex major surgery that costs far more than £3000 instead.

evenmoremiserablethanbefore Thu 23-Jul-09 19:12:34

thats why I have changed my doctor....
and I used to work for them too and walked out of my job a few weeks ago,nothing to do with my health problem though...she spoke to me like crap and I,d had a terrible weekend and flipped
I wasnt taking that....for £5.73 an hour??
I worked there for 6 years....but best thing I ever did
promptly changed my doctor because I cannot bear to look at her miserable unhelpful face again!!!
I have done alot of research on the Novasure procedure and it does sound ideal
a friend of mine had the thermal ablation and says she feels fantastic....
'appeal the decision...' wow,I didnt think you could do that.
you have been so very helpful

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jul-09 19:17:36

a lot of trusts now are offering ablation instead of hysterectomy.

evenmoremiserablethanbefore Thu 23-Jul-09 19:20:11

I,d rather have the Novasure than the thermal ablation...that sounds horrendous
I bet a bloke invented that one

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jul-09 19:21:54

my sister had Novasure in the US about 4 years ago and it took about half an hour in total and she had it under local.

evenmoremiserablethanbefore Thu 23-Jul-09 19:31:23

I wish they did it here....I have a feeling I will be offered the ablation
If I had £3000 I would have the Novasure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now