Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

me again......how can I get him to take his medicine??

(34 Posts)
Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 11:19:11

I'm having trouble getting the antibiotics down ds2 (nearly 14 months) I have tried putting them in juice, using a spoon, using a syringe, making him laugh and putting it in that way. Everytime, he either refuses or spits it out....I really need to get them down him. the doc said not to put them in milk as it gets broken down and wont work?? TIA

debs26 Wed 06-Apr-05 11:30:26

try putting a smartie on the spoon in the middle of the medicine so he swallows the liquid and then crunches straight into the chocolate. might be worth a try, has sometimes worked for me

debs26 Wed 06-Apr-05 11:31:39

have just noticed his age - might not be great idea, you would have to be careful he doesnt choke (sorry)

JanH Wed 06-Apr-05 11:33:47

Would he drink it from a cup or does he dislike the taste?

If he really won't take it, could you ask for capsules instead, open them up and sprinkle the powder on some food he does like?

marthamoo Wed 06-Apr-05 11:34:29

This is the only time I have given my children Coke - when ds1 first had antibiotics I could not get them down him, he would just gag them back up again. I mixed the medicine in about an eggcup full of full fat Coke - it seems strong enough to mask the taste.

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 11:35:23

he wont drink it from anything....beaker, bottle or cup....i really need to get them down him!!! would be easier if i could mix it in with food but i cant

nailpolish Wed 06-Apr-05 11:35:39

my best effort so far was with ice cream, mixed up

dh syringes stuff in then holds the nose and mouth shut (makes them swallow). i feel bad doing that tho', but it works

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 11:36:12

i tried that NP but i seem to need another pair of hands!!!!

nailpolish Wed 06-Apr-05 11:36:14

titania, just mix it with food, its better than taking none at all

meysey Wed 06-Apr-05 11:51:56

does he understand enough to respond to straightforward bribery as in you swallow this and I will give you some choclate?

it can help to hold their nose while the medicine goes down and have a favourite drink on standby to sip afterwards

colditzmum Wed 06-Apr-05 12:10:57

try the smartie trick but with a chocolate button, give him one first, then put the other in the medicine.

adele80 Wed 06-Apr-05 12:26:34

Hi.Does he have a dummy? o used to have to take meds 3x daily for his poorly heart and we found that if we put his dummy in first and then slowly squeeze the syringe in the side of the mouth whilst still sucking the dummy that he would take them,also used to have to do it whilst he was sleeping and seemed fine-no choking.?????? good luck xxx

saadia Wed 06-Apr-05 12:31:26

I would just put him in the highchair, hold his head back (gently) and force him - but I'm really ruthless when it comes to medical matters.

charellie Wed 06-Apr-05 12:34:56

Have you tried wrapping him in a large towel so he can't move his hands, then place him on the sofa or floor.

Then hold the nose with one free hand and stick the syringe in. If he tries to spit it out then try to get the syringe further into his mouth past the teeth. Sounds a bit brutal but it works for me.

I have found the worst antibiotic is Eurthemicyn (not sure how spelt) It tastes horrible. Amoxicillyn is much nicer and both mine will take this off a spoon.

ButtonMoon Wed 06-Apr-05 13:11:54

My sis is an A&E nurse and they administer medicine by pinching the nose, squirting the med in with a syringe and then gently rubs the neck around the windwipe, which apparently encourages you to swallow!!! Less drastically, I used to mix it with yoghurt/fromage frais and had satisfactory results.

Evesmama Wed 06-Apr-05 13:18:36

i have abrand new medicine dummy here, you put the liquid inside cap and it is slowly 'drank' whilst they suck on the dummy.
you can have it if you want it as dd doesnt have dummies and never needed to use it as she 'loves' strawberry medicine

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 13:20:23

oooh i havent seen them evesmama!! where did you get it from?

Evesmama Wed 06-Apr-05 13:22:20

blooming marvellous, got two one for medicine and one to put menthol in for when they are stuffed up, it safely releases the vapour, £5 each i think..but if you want them your welcome to them for free

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 13:23:11

blimey are you sure?? that would be great!!! thanks!! willing to give anything a go!!

Evesmama Wed 06-Apr-05 13:24:05

ok, just see if i remember where they are..hang on...

Evesmama Wed 06-Apr-05 13:27:35

right, found them..both never used one blue one green so better for aboy anyway
cat me your address and ill post them after playgroup tomorrow

Evesmama Wed 06-Apr-05 13:54:57

bumping this so you see it as gonna have to go soon

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 13:56:16

thanks!!!

Evesmama Wed 06-Apr-05 14:02:21

tell you what..email me as it will prob be quicker than cat me incase i dont get back here before tomorrow
joanne dot gowland at ntlworld dot com

Titania Wed 06-Apr-05 14:05:10

done. thanks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now