Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Post Natal bleeding

(12 Posts)
edgarcat Sun 30-Mar-03 12:44:38

Message withdrawn

Enid Sun 30-Mar-03 15:16:28

Mine went on for 10 weeks - when I finally had a scan I had retained products and had to have an emergency d&c - go to your gp and get it checked out.

Pimpernel Sun 30-Mar-03 19:34:47

Mine went on for nearly ten weeks too. My GP suggested a scan, but the bleeding stopped of its own accord before the appointment came through. Know what you mean about wanting to be clean though!

expatkat Sun 30-Mar-03 19:40:34

Good advice, Enid. But don't worry edgarcat, because some women just do bleed a long time--it doesn't always mean retained products. Enid, so sorry to hear about your situation. I remember your post, but couldn't comment at the time because I was just as ignorant as you and was wondering if my bleeding was normal. I went for a scan very early on. I didn't have retained products, luckily, but the bleeding did go on for a good 5 weeks. I think up to 40 days is quite normal, and past that is still normal for lots of women (my obstetrician told me there is a HUGE range of normal) but definitely worth a check IMO.

Lollypop Sun 30-Mar-03 22:44:43

Mine was well past 6 weeks with DD but this time with DS only 4 wks. Many other things seemed worse second time around.

lisaj Sun 30-Mar-03 22:46:05

I also had a long time of post-natal bleeding after dd - about 6/7 weeks I seem to remember. I had a scan, but they didn't find anything left behind fortunately. I started to worry because if you read many of the pregnancy books they mention bleeding for about 3 weeks, but now I know that a lot longer is quite common.

susanmt Mon 31-Mar-03 10:19:09

I had 7 weeks bleeding with ds (2nd birth) and turned out I had retained placenta - it was the smell that gave it away. But it did stop before the scan (I had antibiotics) and was fine after that.

edgarcat Mon 31-Mar-03 11:12:46

Message withdrawn

edgarcat Thu 24-Apr-03 18:08:55

Message withdrawn

cici Sun 27-Apr-03 17:54:25

im 7 wks plus and still bleeding is this normal?

Hughsie Sun 27-Apr-03 18:52:28

I stopped at about 6.5 weeks - if it is still quite red I would consult your gp as it may be reatined placenta. You will be having your post natal check soon though I expect so bring it up then. I intended to but luckily it stopped before I got there

edgarcat Wed 30-Apr-03 19:49:15

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: