Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

oral thrush? rundown

(4 Posts)
fairi Mon 04-Apr-05 21:59:12

I am majorly rundown (the juggle of two in nappies is getting the better of me - advice on holding up to the physical pressure, please!) - have recently had 5 feverblisters/cold sores at once and then got a majorly bad mouth ulser on the gum and now my tongue is swollen, with sore little white spots - one on the tip and the other on the side. I think my almost 3 month old may have oral thrush. Any treatment ideas for this?

SamN Mon 04-Apr-05 22:39:13

fairi, with the oral thrush you could try swabbing his mouth with a solution of bicarbonate of soda (and your nipples too if you're breastfeeding). However, if this doesn't seem to make a difference then go to the doctor sooner rather than later as thrush can make feeding very uncomfortable for little ones.

Regarding your tongue, both dp and I get this when we are rundown too. I think I read somewhere it could be viral or could be due to deficiencies in some trace minerals. Sorry not to be much help, can only sympathise and reiterate all the normal advice about looking after yourself - eating well, sleeping when you can rather than doing the housework and not expecting too much of yourself.

Kidstrack2 Tue 05-Apr-05 08:42:27

Hi there, you can go to your local chemist and buy Daktarin Oral Gel you can use this on yourself and your baby, you can also get a prescription from your doctor for it. If your baby does have thrush you may find her bottom a bit sore and blotchy it passes through them to their little bottom therefor you may need to get a cream for her bottom. Good luck

eidsvold Tue 05-Apr-05 11:53:05

as kidstrack2 says - daktarin oral gel - brilliant for you and if you suspect your babe has it you can get nystatin (sp?) drops on presciption which help cure that. Not sure if you are breastfeeding but if you look in the bottle and breastfeeding section there are a couple of threads about thrush with helpful ideas. You can also use the daktarin oral gel on your nipples to prevent getting nipple thrush - very painful ( toe curling agony - believe me!)and to prevent it recurring in your baby. Have a look at the babe's mouth - if the mouth or tongue has white lumpy cottage cheesy look - probably oral thrush.

My dd2 and i had this early on. A combination of the oral gel and the drops were brilliant.

I too have two in nappies - a toddler with sn and a 4 1/2 month old. Can be very tiring and wearing - ASK for help - even if it is someone to babysit for an hour or so - just so you can rest etc. Try blackmores pregnancy and breastfeeding formula ( capsules) I found them helpful too. I can say it gets a little easier as the days go on - I am just now feeling like I am coping much better.

you are more than welcome to contact me via cat if you want to chat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now